We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

I'm looking at camping for one night in one of the various public land campgrounds near Flagstaff. Very few take reservations, I'll be staying on a Friday or Saturday night mid-May, and won't be arriving until the afternoon or evening. Will this be a problem?

Do these campgrounds fill up usually?

I'm just overnighting on a road trip, so looking to be 45 minutes or less off the interstate 40, which seems to be do-able.

In my previous experience I've found campsites that don't take reservations either aren't very busy, or they are extremely popular and they have no problem filling it up.

If anyone camps in the area and has some recon beyond the official website info, I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

It depends on the time of year and if there is a special event like a dog show or something going on. The owners are a little "wierd" but if you don't mind a little quirky there is the Woody Mtn Campground which DOES accept reservations and is right near I-40. You can also try a very very nice KOA near Williams between Williams and Flagstaff on I-40 and Circle Pines. It too fills up but its a very nice facility.

http://www.koa.com/where/az/03211/

http://www.woodymountaincampground.com/

These are going to be your two nices and safest places to stay. Like you said there are others but I personally would look at these two areas.

You can do some off road camping so to speak off of Woody Mtn Road past the camp ground but you do adventually need 4 wheel drive for the road. Also A-1 Mtn exit going north there are some dirt road areas but with the fire danger so high I am sure they are going to be closing things down soon.

Hope that helps.

arizona-leisure.com/flagstaff-camping.html

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

I've stayed at Kaibab Lake Campground (USFS) near Williams (30 miles west of Flagstaff) a couple times. Once was at the end of May. There were quite a few campers there, but I had no problem getting a space. Hopefully you'll have the same good luck. This campground is just off I-40, very convenient.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

Thanks very much!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

Thanks very much!

5. Re: No reservations camping around Flagstaff- do they fill up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 04:20