We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon trip and etc.

louisiana
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
grand canyon trip and etc.

we are in our mid 60's flying from lafayette, louisiana to either san francisco or las vegas(not sure) . we want to see yosemite national park how far from san francisco is that to far. then we want to go las vegas,flagstaff , sedona then new mexico ,maybe go up to utah and colorado just to say we went to those states. then we would have gone to all of the southwestern and southeastern states. we might fly back home from new mexico . this will be a long trip. we need advice. thanks

Walnut Canyon National Monument
Canyons, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Historic Sites
Wupatki National Monument
National Parks, Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Volcanoes
Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument
National Parks, Volcanoes, Monuments & Statues
Coconino National Forest
Forests, National Parks
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,237 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

How much time do you have for this trip,and what time of year?

louisiana
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

we will be going in september. we will stay week and a half. thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

That's a very open ended itinerary and question. I agree with dex - what time of year, and how much time do you have?

You should do a bit of online research to begin with. First, peruse the Trip Advisor individual state/city forums, (such as Sedona, Yosemite, etc.) as well as the Road Trips forum for ideas. Definitely look at the sample itineraries on the various forums. There is enough to keep you busy in the Southwest for weeks, if not months, and the forums will give you ideas and help you narrow it down a bit.

You mentioned Flagstaff and Sedona, but not the Grand Canyon - as long as you're in Northern Arizona, I highly recommend stopping there for a night or two.

Peruse the National Park service website as well - lots of info there. Check out the parks in Southern Utah, too.

http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

Finally - distances out here are vast. Check out one of the online mapping websites for examples, as well as drive times. I like Yahoo, but some people prefer Mapquest. Decide how many hours you want to spend in the car each day.

www.maps.yahoo.com

http://www.mapquest.com/

You might also consider joining AAA for a year, if only for this trip. We saved a ton of money on our last road trip using the AAA hotel discounts, as well as on maps. AAA's free maps and Triptiks alone are worth the membership fee, IMHO.

Once you've done a bit more research, then do come back with more specifics and questions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

I just saw your Post #2 - wow, when you said long trip, I thought you meant a minimum of 3 weeks or more. You don't have enough time to do everything on your list, unless you want to spend the entire time in the car. Definitely narrow it down a bit.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,558 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

With a week plus, either pick San Francisco and Yosemite OR Sedona, Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. If you want to add in Utah and Colorado, then that is a 3rd plan!

If you want to just bag states, then go for it. If you want to enjoy some of the most beautiful places in our country, then choose a much less aggressive plan.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

CasaAzul is correct, with just a week and a half, you do NOT have time for eveything on your list (even as just a drive-by). I was under the same impression as Hummingbird when you said long trip; figured 3 weeks minimum.

With 10-12 days, you can do a lot, but focus on a smaller region. Visiting SF and Yosemite is a great option. OR look at southern UT and northern AZ making a loop around the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas (LV-Zion-Bryce Canyon-Page-GC-LV, or the reverse order). OR use Phoenix as the entry/exit point for a trip that includes Sedona, Flagstaff, GC and perhaps Page.

There are lots of options, but I would suggest less stops for the time you have available (or add a lot more time).

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

If your reason for going to Vegas is to gamble, you could probably add Reno/Lake Tahoe to the San francisco/Yosemite plan, but I agree-a week & a half is not enough time for it all.Not to mention the time in San Francisco-if you've never been, you need a couple days there, too. To answer your original question, Yosemite is about 4 hours from san Francisco. There is a lot to see in the park, I would stay at least 2-3 days. .Yosemite to Vegas is about 7 hours, Yosemite to Reno about 5. You could also add in a quick (1-2 hours) trip north of San Francisco to see Point Reyes &/or the Redwoods. Have a wonderful trip!!

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

With a 1.5 weeks, I concur that you may wish to concentrate your visit on the "Grand Circle" area.

http://grandcircle.org/

Shefford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

Try this website for calculating the distances http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/ It will give you an idea just how far apart places are.

10. Re: grand canyon trip and etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 21:17