We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Flagstaff

QLD, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Flagstaff

Hi! I am looking to travel to Flagstaff/surrounding area for a couple of weeks sometime next year. I would like to know when is the best time to visit - times to avoid etc. I am from QLD in Australia so I am thinking I'm going to have to seriously rug up against the cold - but I have never been to the States before... would really love some advice on when is best to visit, what to see, what to avoid etc. What the weather is like - ie. not just average temp but is it rainy etc?

Thanks in advance! :o)

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
1. Re: Visiting Flagstaff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2004, 22:42
derry nh
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Flagstaff

I am interested in visiting the area, [Sedona]? I was told to go to Flagstaff but it sounds as if it is too cold in the time period I want.. ...Feb. and March...I need a place that is pet friendly, also with a kitchen....My hubby and I like the last two wks. of Feb and first two in March..but we are flexable, as we are retired. A condo unit would be nice... Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
AZ
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Flagstaff

Hello Stella. I have lived in Flagstaff, Arizona for a little over a year now and I do have a few suggestions. The weather is amazing here but if you want to beat the snow...I'd wouldn't plan your trip from November to March. Those are the hardest hitting months for snow I'd say. This year it's snowed more than expected. As for the rest of the year its pretty beautiful. Nice warm days and cool nights. Especially late May through early September. But beware because those months are pretty hot for the rest of Arizona outside of Flagstaff (can get to 120 degrees). So if your planning on visiting the Grand Canyon or Sedona (both highly recommended) I would look at the weather in those places and plan your visit around the weather there. Tip: Even though Arizona is mostly desert it can get rather chilly at night so your clothes plan for hot and cool weather! Hope this helped you!

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Flagstaff

About the weather, you never know--today, here in Sedona, it is 70-75 and sunny. Flag must be at least 60-65 and sunny--and it's January 22! There was a lot of snow in Flag earlier this month and we hope it comes back, but Sedona only got a sprinkling of snow and some rain. We welcomed it even if it was a little too much in one storm since all of Arizona is in a drought situation. The red rocks are even more beautiful after a rain when the red is deeper and they glisten in the sun. It really is an amazing place. Any time after February should be good for travel with less risk of snow than between Nov and Feb. We had a freak hail storm on May 30th in 1993--so no one can say with 100% certainty that you won't come across any bad weather no matter what time of year it is! :-) But, bad weather is very short-lived here.

JC

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
LCN
canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Flagstaff

The best time to be in Flagstaff is the summer or fall. Summer is hot but cools down at night, the fall is nice because the aspen tress change color. The summer is packed with tourists so beware! You will notice a price increase in hotels and that....

Lots to do anytime of the year. Check out the snowbowl if you go in the winter. don't be afraid of the snow!

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Flagstaff

Hi

For things to do around Flagstaff try Sunset Volcano Crater, Walnut Canyon and Wupatki NM's. The Meteor Crater near Winslow. Sedona just south of Flagstaff through the beautiful Oak Creek Canyon is certainly worth a visit. Oh, I nearly forgot, you'll find the Grand Canyon NP somewhere in the vicinity.

Enjoy your trip.

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Meteor Crater
Meteor Crater
3,017 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Winslow
Winslow