We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking Around

Baltimore...
3 posts
Save Topic
Biking Around

I'm visiting Flagstaff with my girlfriend for 4 nights in April. I'll be staying at the Embassy Suites and I was wondering a few things:

Is Flagstaff pretty bike friendly? If so, who do you recommend?

Is it possible to bike to any trails at Coconino?

Neither of us are drivers so would you recommend us doing a guided tour/hike (preferably a nice, long hike) for the Grand Canyon or would we be okay going by ourselves with the Arizona Shuttle Service. We'll probably spend two days at the Grand Canyon so I guess we could do one day with a guided hike and another on our own?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,052 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking Around

Flagstaff, as a university town, is very bike friendly.

Coconino is the name of the county and the national forest, so not sure what you mean. There are hiking trails in the national forest. You can find that info online.

If you are going to stay at GCNP, first you need lodging.

grandcanyonlodges.com

You would be fine going by yourselves by taking the Arizona Shuttle. Any tour would be a day trip. If you want a guide in the park, they are available. You can check Grand Canyon Field Institute online. There is a guide service called Angels Gate Tours. There are others. You can also look at hiking information online in detail on the park web site:

nps.gov/grca

Baltimore...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking Around

Oh thanks a lot! I was referring to the the National Forest, particularly if it's possible to bike to the trails from Flagstaff.

For the Grand Canyon, I'll be staying in Flagstaff and probably taking two day trips up there. I was just wonder if it's best go it alone or go with a tour.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking Around

Flagstaff is a designated "bicycle friendly community". There are lots of trails in town and they are safer routes than riding on the roads, so I suggest you familiarize yourself with the potential route areas before arrival. In particular, there is a paved route that runs between Route 66 and the train tracks through downtown and east to the mall. I use it frequently in good weather and enjoy the ride. That's just one.

www.flagstaff.az.gov/index.aspx?NID=1521 and www.flagstaff.az.gov/DocumentView.aspx…

I would also suggest rides around Fort Tuthill County Park/Coconino Fairgrounds. Check out the Sinclair Wash trail through campus down towards the WalMart shopping center and south to University Heights Dr. S to the fairgrounds.

Be aware, however, that the ground may very well still be soft on non-paved trails if there is ever any snow to speak of this winter.

I agree that you would be better off with a shuttle service to the canyon so you're not stuck with anybody else's idea of the appropriate amount of time to spend at each possible stop along the rim or if you want to try some hiking below the rim. You'll probably save money doing it on your own with the shuttle getting you there and back, and there are free shuttles within the park to get you to various trailheads. Check out www.nps.gov/grca for details.

Enjoy your visit!

Baltimore...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking Around

Oh wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

5. Re: Biking Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 22:22