We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
184 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

I was hoping someone could recommend the best non-chain authentic place I could visit for some great Mexican/Southwestern food. I will be in Flagstaff, Sedona and Grand Canyon areas as well Bryce Canyon and Zion. Any recommendations for these areas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

While you waiting for FlagstaffTraveler to get back to you on the last word in Flagstaff Mexican food, try reading the reviws on these 21 places.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60971-Flagstaff…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

In Flagstaff you'll find lots of options. My favorite for breakfast in MartAnn's. Salsa Brava gets lots of attention since it was featured on Diners Brive ins and Dives.

In Sedona Elote Cafe is undoubtedly the best. Mexican inspired fare that folks line up for every night. Dinner only, Tue-Sat.

45 minutes away in Jerome, but worth the journey, is Quince.

Keep your expectations low at Bryce. There are really no restaurants that are anything beyond basic sustenance. Springdale at Zion though has many great options.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
184 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Thanks! I have reviewed the Flagstaff resturant listings and I am excited about several. I had not heard of MartAnn's nor Quince so thanks for the suggestions!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

If you find yourself in Kingman, you will eat some of the best refried beans in the world at El Palacio. I had to work in Kingman for two weeks and had Italian (bad) steaks (pretty good, cheap and friendly staff) Chinese (dreadful) but we went back time after time for this Mexican food...and I've been here 60 years! This stuff is just plain GOOD!

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31259-d52…

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
184 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Donbacsi- I will be driving up from Las Vegas so I can stop in Kingsman. Thanks for the suggestion.

Redrox- Never noticed MartAnnes in my research but just checked it out. Definitely going to try to stop for breakfast.

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Water: Pull off the highway at the first main chance and that will put you on Andy Devine Blvd. (Rte 66!) To the intersection with the road that leads to the county court house. Stop. Eat. And then write back and thank me!

Enjoy!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Like Elote Cafe in the evenings, MartAnn's generates lines of people for the wait in the morning. Don't be discouraged. It's part of the experience and well worth the wait.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
184 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Thanks for all your help! We leave in 2 weeks and I will report back!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

I like Salsa Brava OK, but it's not really what I'd call particularly authentic. There is a pretty good-sized Mexican immigrant community here given the size of the city, so there are a lot of options for family-owned, non-chain restaurants.

Honestly, Burritos Fiesta is about one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in town as far as food goes, but it is counter service. Try the Burrito Macho (#2) or the Quesadilla Nortena. Most of the staff speaks Spanish when communicating with each other. That's how you know it's authentic.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Southwestern/Mexican food in area

Flag: That's one of the things I love about the town. Nothing pretentious. Just come as you are and get a slam dunk great meal on little more than a paper plate and plastic fork. For a town its size it has a huge amount of options in just about every price range. And they are open late!