We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monte Vista Hotel

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Monte Vista Hotel

We are considering staying at this hotel. We are 2 couples travelling from LA to Grand Canyon in June 2013 and want a stopver for 1 night. (Previous night in Prescott). I have been recommended this hotel but looking them up there are so many rooms to choose from and it seems that some are better than others (as usual). Has anyone stayed her and can recommend 2 rooms that are good sizes with private bath taht you would be happy to stay in again?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

"good sizes with private bath" does not describe any of the rooms I've stayed in, the three times I've stayed there. We got a private bath once, but I would opt for the shared bath next time and just save the money. It's a very old hotel: the rooms are small, but those private bathrooms are even smaller. I haven't stayed in them, but I believe their top-end rooms are nicer with much more space.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,825 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

Why not just go to the GCNP? It's only about 2 hours from Prescott. If you're visiting the Grand Canyon, there is no better place to stay, than right there at the rim, inside the park.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

We wanted to take our time though Sedona and possibly visit Jerome and also Arizona Snowbowl . Didnt think we could do it comfortably in a day plus possibly Walnut Canyon?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

I'm not a fan of the Monte Vista Hotel, to be honest - and I do like historic hotels! Even their "high end" rooms aren't that great. If you're looking for an inexpensive option in Flagstaff, you might consider the Weatherford Hotel, unless it's a weekend and you're light sleepers. (Ask for a quieter room if you sleep lightly, regardless.) The staff are all quite friendly and helpful, and they have good food both in the upstairs lounge/bar, and the downstairs restaurant. In addition, the rooms and hotel in general are cleaner than the Monte Vista IMHO, and some of them are quite large for a historic hotel - but they're not new in any sense, just clean and generally well-kept.

That said, if you're coming from Prescott, why not just head over the mountain (Hwy 89A) towards Jerome, wander around Jerome for a bit, and then continue on towards Sedona and spend the night there? From there, you could head to Flagstaff the next morning by driving up Hwy 89A through Oak Creek Canyon - which is a beautiful drive, by the way. Walnut Canyon and Snowbowl are on opposite sides of Flagstaff; you could technically visit them both easily in one day, but how much time do you have at the Grand Canyon? There's not much to "see" at Snowbowl in the summer; they do run the chair lifts on the weekends, if that's what you were going up there to do. Otherwise, there are hiking trails, but I would opt for more time at the Grand Canyon instead of Snowbowl.

It might be helpful if we knew more about your itinerary for the whole trip...

Edited: 11 October 2012, 18:32
Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

Here is our itinerary: 2 couples from UK

San Francisco 3 nights

Monterey or Carmel 2 nights

Cambria or San Luis Obispo 1 night

Santa Barbara 2 nights

LA 2 nights

Prescott 1 night

Flagstaff 1 night

Grand Canyon 1 night ( been before)

Las Vegas 4 nights

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

I like the Monte Vista, and stay there about once a year. However, the rooms are small and the bathrooms even smaller.

If you're looking for something more modern and spacious, I recommend the Drury.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

Looking at the itinerary, I suspect that you are looking for historic charm and maybe a bit of quirkiness.

I haven't contributed so far because, as a Flagstaff resident, I've never stayed in the Monte Vista. I know it is popular with certain types of travelers, but it probably wouldn't work for me, based on reviews I've read (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60971-d115318-…).

When I travel to Europe, I prefer to stay in small, family-owned establishments when possible so I think I may have some idea where you are coming from and what you are seeking. As Hummingbird suggested above, I'd probably prefer the Weatherford. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60971-d73348-R… although realize that noise can be an issue (probably at either since they are both in the heart of downtown Flagstaff, great for walking around and absorbing the culture of the city; not so great if you want to turn in early and enjoy a good night's rest on the weekend.) Alternatives would be one of the handful of B&B's in the downtown area.

I apologize for getting off topic and not answering your question. I don't think you're getting the answers you're seeking and instead getting all sorts of other advice. If you haven't already done so, I advise checking reviews (linked in my reply) for mentions of specific rooms and impressions thereof.

Enjoy your trip!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

Ok, your itinerary looks fine to me, and it makes sense. You can certainly take your time in Jerome and Sedona on your way from Prescott, and then spend the night in Flagstaff. I really do like the downtown area; it's great for people-watching, and the locals are friendly. The Weatherford is downtown, or as mentioned, the Drury Inn is nice, (though not downtown, fyi). There's also the Little America, located across the train tracks from the downtown area. It's a cute place with nice sized rooms; try to get a forest view room if you stay here. For dinner, choose just about any of the restaurants downtown - Diablo Burger is delicious!

Tip: Head to the Visitor's Center (located in the Amtrak station right near downtown Flag ) and buy your Grand Canyon pass there. This way, you can bypass any long lines at the GC entrance, and enter in the lane for people who have already paid.

If you want to see Walnut Canyon, you might as well do it on your way to the GC in the morning, and then enter the GC from the East, at Desert View (via Hwy 89). This way, you can leave the GC through Tusayan the next day, on your way to Vegas. Makes sense if you do it that way.

That still leaves Snowbowl - if you have time the day you arrive in Flagstaff, you can certainly drive out there and ride the chair lift if it's the weekend (bring a sweater, it gets cold!), or hike if it's a weekday. Otherwise, you might need to just skip it.

Hope that helps; have a great vacation!

Edited: 12 October 2012, 00:04
Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

Thanks Hummingbird and all for some great info. I agree I was looking for small and quirky which I have managed to find in Santa Barbara and LA but have given in to bigger 'chain hotel' now in Prescott and Flagstaff. I did think that I had booked Abineua Lodge but was disappointed to find I could not book for 1 night. Rightly or wrongly I have now booked with Aspen hotel in Flagstaff which had some good reviews on here and is very reasonably priced.

I will take on the info about GC tickets as this seems a very good idea and have a look more closely at our itinerary to see what fits in best. I have been to Walnut Canyon before but thought it would be great for our friends to see it (on thinking about it again I am 10 yers older and Im not sure I want to attempt the may steps again) My husband wants to go up the snowbowl as when we visited before it was closed , not sure why but its his vactaion too.

I am trying to give everyone a taste of wherever their interests lie as I am the one tasked with planning this vacation. All your snippets of advice and information in this is invaluable. Thank you

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monte Vista Hotel

You definitely should not have to stay in a chain hotel in Prescott. There are a number of good, independently-owned hotels in the Downtown area.