We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in October

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling in October

Hi. When is the best time to see autumn with the leaves changing? Is it better early October orlater in the month of October? Thank you....

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in October

No idea where you live, but if you are expecting fall color like New England or the Upper Midwest, you won't see that in Arizona. In Northern Arizona the primary tree to show color is the aspen which turns yellow. When is not entirely predictable but early to mid-October is probably right.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in October

In northern AZ there are radical differences in elevations within a relatively short distance. Expect to see the Aspens turning gold above and around Flagstaff in mid to late Oct. Nearby, but a couple thousand feet lower you'll see a wider range of colors in Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona from late Oct to early Nov.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 23:37
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in October

Thank you for the reply....I'm in Las Vegas......I used to live in New England but miss fall & sure AZ isn't like New England! :)

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in October

Thank you for the reply. I'm possibly heading to Flagstaff in mid to late October. :)

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in October

Since you live in Las Vegas, perhaps you can keep your plans fairly fluid and arrange your trip as you learn of the peak time to visit. Unlike New England, Flagstaff and surrounding areas do not sell out (hotel rooms) based on the fall color, so you should have no problems deciding a few days in advance of a visit.

Note that you will need to get out of town a bit for the best viewing. The aspens really look best when you are among them, not at a distance. Even though you will be able to see the color from a distance, the glowing effect you may experience with them in the fall is best when you are right in their midst.

You may find this page helpful: …usda.gov/detail/…

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in October

Thanks for the response. Can't wait to see the Aspens & I'll look into that link you provided.

:)

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in October

My experiences with finding fall color in Arizona are that you find it in "patches." With the exception of aspens which can have huge stands, one doesn't see whole mountains covered with multicolored leaves like New England, the Appalachians and the Midwest. Where I used to live in Wisconsin, when turning up the Pine River valley north of the Wisconsin River going home, after the end of May, the landscape was emerald green in all directions. By early to mid October this would turn into a kaleidoscope of colors, with broad bands of scarlet red sumacs at the edge of the forests. In Arizona, I am content to find yellow cottonwoods along streams, and solitary red maples in mountain forests, and occasional patches of yellow or orange oaks. One time we drove to Mount Escuadilla near Alpine and found the mountain almost covered with yellow aspens in large groves among pines.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 23:57
8. Re: Traveling in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:17