We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Hawaii...
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

We will be arriving in Vegas on 7 Oct just a few days prior to our arranged vacation rental in Vegas starting on the 11th. We want to rent a car and start driving the morning of arrival to Alburquerque N.M. to see their balloon festival - I believe its a little over 8 hr drive. I am concerned that at that time of year, it would probably be dark before we get to Alburquerque. Is this a difficult drive - one that should not be done in the dark, and are there any weather conditions possible that time of year. We would take Highway 40 most of the way through Arizona and into New Mexico.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Make your lodging reservations now !... There will be nothing to see on the evening you arrive... Be up at dawn & drive to parking on the North side of Albuquerque The weekend Mass launches are what you want to drive in for ... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Plan on at least a 9 hour drive on Interstate 40. Stop for a meal at Winslow AZ's La Posada Hotel.

Also consider flying via Southwest Airlines between Las Vegas and Abq, sometimes there are good rates this far out.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

No problem driving on I-40 after dark. It's just a straight interstate highway. Of course it's always a bit challenging finding your way around an unfamiliar city after dark, but certainly doable. I wouldn't be concerned.

October is the month with the best weather around here. I wouldn't expect any bad weather issues.

Island of Hawaii...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Thank you for the info, we are making hotel reservations tomorrow at MCM Algonguin through the Balloon Festival website for our time in Alburquerque.

Island of Hawaii...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Thank you so much for the information about Highway 40 and the weather. We checked into flying, but we actually want to drive and I feel much better about it.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Maybe you can manage an overnight stay at Grand Canyon NP south rim www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Island of Hawaii...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Thank you for your response. We actually have been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times in the past, but unfortunately don't have the time for this trip. But I am keeping the web link for the next time we travel to this area.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
33 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Aloha. While in Alburquerque be sure to have lunch or dinner at El Pinto Restaurant. It has been there for maybe 70 or more years and is the definitive food stop for authentic New Mexico cuisine. The cast and crew of "Breaking Bad" also frequented it regularly.

Island of Hawaii...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Thanks you so much for the tip - we certainly will check this place out.

Okla
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to AlburquerqueNM

Just took this drive last week. It is a 9 hour drive with a quick stop to eat. Our trip was la little longer but that was because of a major storm when we arrived in Albq. The drive is very easy and not an issue after dark if you have good directions to get around in Albq. Have a blast. I have always wanted to got to that festival.