We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Flagstaff

Allentown, Pa
Level Contributor
32 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Flagstaff

Hi! We are planning a trip in August and will be staying 4 nights in Flagstaff. I am looking for day trip ideas. We have plans for a day in Sedona and a Day at GCNP. Any recommendations for the other days? We are a family of 4 with two teenagers. I (mom) would like to take a trip to Winslow, so I can "stand on the corner"...but not sure I can convince my family to make a day of it, any thing else to see there?? Any other ideas for the Flagstaff area?? Thanks so much!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

While in Winslow, also stop at the La Posada Hotel (an old Fred Harvey Hotel lovingly restored by new owners) and eat lunch or dinner in the Turquoise Room. Also, Petrified Forest is out this way. It's worth a drive through if you're in the area. Meteor Crater might appeal to the teens.

Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments are cool and will take up only about half a day (or on your return from Grand Canyon, depending on the time you have available to you). www.nps.gov/wupa, www.nps.gov/sucr

I would suggest an evening spend wandering around the historic downtown area of Flagstaff, as well.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

Great suggestions above. I also really like Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument.

Arizona Snowbowl ski area is operating chair lift rides during the summer. That might be a fun family outing.

www.arizonasnowbowl.com

There's the Museum of Northern Arizona and the Lowell Observatory too in Flagstaff. The kids might like Flagstaff Extreme treetop adventure course.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60971-Activitie…

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

Maybe you also like to see Bearinzona Wildlife park in Williams. Williams is a cute R66 town as well.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

Wupatki and Sunset Crater would be my top choice. Walnut Canyon is an excellent compliment. Historic Riorden Mansion is very cool and the Museum of Northern AZ is excellent.

Allentown, Pa
Level Contributor
32 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!! This will be our families first time in Arizona, we are really looking forward to it!!

Edited: 11 July 2013, 16:05
Williams, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

You and your teenagers would have an amazing adventure if you hiked the Lava Tube just west of Flagstaff.

Google it. Trip Advisor has a review, too.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

I was in Arizona for my first time last fall. I ended up spending about 3 nights in Flagstaff and it has become one of my favorite towns ever!! There is so much to do there! I went up to Snowbowl and tooks tons of photos, went thru the Arboretum, Walnut Canyon, and of course the observatory. Plus there was a great salon where I had the best massage of my life in town!!! Am looking forward to going back as soon as I can!! Enjoy!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

Nice to hear you enjoyed your time in Flagstaff, DLKS! You hit some great locations.

9. Re: Day Trips from Flagstaff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:21