We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Me and my son will be in Flagstaff/Sedona in June 2014 for 3 days/nights and will be hiring a car. We want to be able to drive from Flagstaff to eventually San Francisco but after many days of despairing to try find a route that will suit us I need the help of TA members. The time we have is 7 days/nights after leaving Flagstaff but want to be in San Francisco for 2 of those days and nights. Could anyone please help build up an itinerary of where we could stop, eg small towns etc, along the way. Only my son drives so we need to maybe drive 150/200 in a day..Thank you very much

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

I think this question will get better answers if you post in the Road Trips Forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

It sounds like quite a journey! If you'd consider a train, the journey on the Southwest Chief is not that exciting, save one sliver of time passing through some interesting desert rock formations (as I recall, this probably happens in the middle of the night on this route) but the Coast Starlight route is truly beautiful. It would save you the trouble of driving and public transportation in the San Francisco area is good. You'd need only find your way from the closest Amtrak station in the bay area into town, but that should not be a big problem.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Maybe try this:

1: Flagstaff-Las Vegas

2. Las Vegas-Death Valley

3. Death Valley-Mammoth lakes/Bishop

4. Bishop-Yosemite

5. Yosemite

6. Yosemite-San Francisco

7. San Francisco

Death Valley will be extremely hot so if you don't want to stay there I suggest:

1. Flagstaff-Las Vegas

2. Las Vegas via death Valley NP to Lone Pine (cute little town at the foot of mt. Whitney)

3. Lone Pine via Tioga rd to Yosemite

4. Yosemite

5.Yosemite-San Francisco

6,7: San Francisco.

Good luck planning!

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

First thought is that you don't want to rent a car in Flagstaff for a one way rental. The extra cost, called a "dropoff charge," will be exorbitant. It is possible that location may not rent a car for a one-way rental. Sometimes people from the UK can get special deals on car rentals from agencies in the UK, so research that.

How are you traveling to Sedona in the first place?

I would recommend not going to Death Valley in June. It is the hottest place on Earth, literally, and that's when it is the hottest.

Yosemite is a beautiful place, however quite crowded in the summer. To best appreciate it, you need lodging in the park.

You may want to consider traveling by train from Flagstaff to San Francisco and skipping other destinations.

The Amtrak Southwest Chief leaves Flagstaff at 851 PM and arrives in Los Angeles at 815 AM. The Coast Starlight leaves LA at 1010 AM. It arrives in San Jose at 923 PM and requires transferring to local trains or using other transportation to get into San Francisco. The ride along the coast is considered one of the most scenic train rides in the world.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

I agree about the Coast Starlight--great train ride--about 400 miles from LA to San Francisco. But also keep in mind it's not entirely along the coast in sight of the ocean. You'll only be on the coast from about Ventura to near Lompoc (about 100 miles or so), then briefly from near the town of Oceano to Pismo Beach (only about 5 miles). The rest of the trip is inland, but even in the inland areas, it traverses some pretty spectacular scenery, including the California Central Coast wine country and the Santa Lucia mountain range north of San Luis Obispo. A very worthwhile way to go up the California coast...

Edited: 23 September 2013, 23:54
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Not sure the OP is renting from Flagstaff. Maybe Phoenix? Anyway if you rent with an European broker you can avoid drop off charges between Az and Ca for most models. Many peopl;e from Europe still visiting Death Valley NP in summer even with it being hot. A car won't have problems driving through it but stick to the paved roads.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,215 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

We were in DVNP in early August. Yes it was really hot, but I loved being there. We were also a tiny minority as English speaking Americans.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Thank you so much people. So much information. So much good information. I will make a plan using all this info but I cannot see my son who is 35 wanting to be on a train for such a long time, Think the 7 night plan laid out by Tet is looking good. We are picking up a hire car from Phoenix Sky Harbour airport and driving up to Flagstaff and Sedona on day 2. . Unfortunately we have no choice but to return the car to a drop off place in another city. Its my son's aim to be in DV in June. We are crazy Englishmen, hence the saying 'Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun' Will come back and post up when plans are finally drawn up. Thanks once again.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Make sure you'll have your reservations for places like GCNP and Yosemite. June is a very popular month for Yosemite with the waterfalls in full flow.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

Will book within the next few days. Thank you everyone

10. Re: Flagstaff to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite N.P

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18