We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to GCNP

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff to GCNP

Hi all

We are driving from Flagstaff to spend a night at El Torvar in GCNP. Since we will be driving around Feb 25 th- which would be the best route, and what weather can we expect? Any places we should stop off en route and any advice on how long the drive will take would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Eve

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,390 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

(The hotel's name is El Tovar.)

Best route in winter is I-40 West from Flagstaff to Hwy 64 North at Williams, and continue to GCNP. This will take about 1.5 hours. Drive in the daytime. We can't predict the weather except that it is normally cold in the daytime at that time of year and below freezing at night. Snow is possible but normally is light and cleared quickly. Watch weather forecasts closer to you dates.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

Much appreciated

Thank you

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

I would suggest that the possibility of snow causing a delay is real. February-March are big snow months in Flagstaff and with enough accumulation, the Interstate can actually be closed for hours.

As Bob B suggests, do keep an eye on the weather forecast. If big snow is predicted (which doesn't necessarily mean it will come), try to get out ahead of it, or contact Xanterra to ask them if they can be flexible about your reservation given the storm so you don't lose money if you can't make it on the anticipated arrival date.

Most importantly, drive carefully and bring warm clothes!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

Depending on where you will be before Flag and after the GC, I advise entering the park via the east gate at Desert View. The route would be 89 north from Flag to Cameron, then AZ64 up to the east gate. Follow AZ64 inside the park to the GC village and El Tovar. Then leave the park on the following day via the main gate at Tusayan. This assumes fair weather conditions. If a winter storm is present you will be well aware and you'll need to seek local advice about travel and road conditions. www.az511.com

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

Redrox- we will be driving to Sky Harbor airport after our stay in the El Torvar. Would you still recommend the same route out of the Park? Our flight does not leave until the evening so we will take a leisurely drive back.

Thanks

Eve

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

Yes, I advise the same route and I'd add the slight detour from I-17 via 89A through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona to 179 back to I-17. The detour will add only about 15-20 minutes to the drive, however, you should allow a few hours for stops along the way. Too bad you don't have a few days...

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

Thank you

8. Re: Flagstaff to GCNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:20