We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nights stay in Flagstaff

St. Peters
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Nights stay in Flagstaff

We will be traveling in April by train to Flagstaff and continuing on for a weeks stay in Sedona. Because of our arrival and departure times, we will be spending the night we arrive and the night before we depart in Flagstaff. I am unfamiliar with the location of the train station. So I would appreciate recommendations for places to stay near to the station. Thank you

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nights stay in Flagstaff

Will you be picking up your rental car upon arrival, or the next morning?

There are a couple of decent hotels within walking distance (a mile or so) - check Drury Inn & Suites and Highland Country Inn (budget option), keeping in mind that the weather will be quite cool in April after the sun goes down, so prepare for being cold while dragging your luggage if walking. There is car rental available at the train station (Hertz).

http://goo.gl/maps/9O1IU

If you're picking up the car upon arrival, you may want to position yourself on the south end of town, preparing for your drive down to Sedona. In that case, anywhere near Woodlands Village Blvd. and the intersection of I-40/I-17 will be good. There is a Basha's grocery store near there at which you can pick up a few items, if needed, before you head down US 89A towards Sedona. And yes, this is the route you want to take as it's more scenic than traveling down I-17 to the Sedona exit.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,378 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nights stay in Flagstaff

If you don't mind simple and inexpensive... The Grand Canyon Hostel, offers private rooms A block South, of the AMTRAK station ... Book a room facing away, from The tracks ... carracar

Edited: 02 February 2014, 00:01
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,457 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nights stay in Flagstaff

You really don't want to stay in the hostel. Take a taxi from the train station to one of the suggested hotels. Your train gets in around 10 PM if coming from the east, and, though it's safe, you don't want to be dragging your luggage down the street 1/2 mile or more late at night.

Consult a map when looking at hotels. The train station is in downtown Flagstaff. There are two old, quaint hotels downtown, but I do not recommend them. The hotels above are fine, and once in a taxi there are many others within a 10 minute drive.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 19:56
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nights stay in Flagstaff

We've stayed at the Drury and liked it. They serve a nice breakfast. You might ask if they can pick you up.

There is also a nice La Quinta in the area (where I have gone to meetings.)

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nights stay in Flagstaff

Afterthought: the shuttle probably is not available at your arrival time. You could post on the Flagstaff forum for names of taxi companies.

6. Re: Nights stay in Flagstaff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26