We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

Could anyone tell me the conditions/safety of 180/64 from Flagstaff to GCNP? My main concern is if the road has hairpin turns or steep drop-offs. I know 180 is a scenic highway so I would like to take that if possible. Also, how is Rt 64 leaving GCNP going east. We plan on driving to Monument Valley after the park. We are staying 2 nights in Tusayan, and 1 night in Kayenta.

At this time we are not sure of our route to get back from Phoenix from there.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,747 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

No reason to fear the roads. Well paved and no hairpin turns or drop offs. Drive only during daylight hours.

I'd be more concerned about your lodging locations. Have you tried to find lodging inside the GCNP rather than Tusayan? Or at the View or Gouldings instead of Kayenta?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

Yes, no problems with those roads. 180 is scenic indeed. If you can find the time visit Museum of Northern Arizona that's right along 180 in the Flagstaff area.

Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

Thanks RedRox! You seem very knowledgeable about the area. I think I will be able to get a reservation at The View for not much more than my other hotel. No luck for GCNP.

Another question: we are thinking of driving to Canyon de Chelly, then on to Petrified Forest. Are those roads good too? Indian Rt 59 to Chinle, then Rt 191 to I -40. Is there any tour you can suggest at the former?

Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

Thank you. As we live in the Phoenix area we may plan a trip to the museum on another trip to escape the Phoenix heat!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

IR59 is fastest to CdC and is a good road. 191 is a major us hw. Maybe add Hubbell Trading Post between Chinle and PF. Tours into CdC take at least 3 hours and there's a lot more to see along the rims and you can walk to White House yourself without a guide. A tour has been recommended though we we didnot take one ourselves.

6. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley roads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16