We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation 66

Vine Grove, Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
vacation 66

My husband and I and another couple are going to travel Route 66 in Az. Before we do we are going to Tombstone on Saturday then Old Tucson Studios on Sunday . We were going to drive on to Holbrook that evening from there but my cousin said the road from Phoenix to Flagstaff is very dangerous to drive at night. We're older couples and don't really see well night driving. Would you advice us to leave the next day? We are coming around the first of October, not sure what time it gets dark there. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,876 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation 66

You'll climb over 6,000 feet between PHX and Flag through a variety of very scenic desert environments. Far more scenic IMO than anything you'll see while trying to follow RT66. It gets very dark due to dark sky ordinances and a complete absence of highway lighting. Do it in the daylight.

Vine Grove, Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation 66

Thank you for your advice. We are from Kentucky and love Arizona. Have been to Sedona, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. Per your advice we'll spend the night somewhere in Tucson then enjoy the beauty of Sedona on our way to Holbrook. Thank you again .....

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation 66

After your AM. Tucson attraction visit ... Drive to Phoenix and lodge just to the North of the city, along the I-17 ... Avoiding then, the AM Phoenix commute, drive to Sedona for Lunch. The foremost iconic Rt. 66 lodging in Holbrook will be the Wigwam Motel ... Where to from there ? carracar

Edited: 06 June 2014, 10:01
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation 66

Why do you want to drive from Tucson to Holbrook via Phoenix? there's a shorter route via Globe and Show Low and the drive through Salt River is very scenic. In the daytime that is. Or if you want to drive R66 west east and start from Flagstaff you also can take the scenic route from Globe to Payson via Lake Roosevelt and a stop at Tonto Natural Bridge on the way north. We have driven this way between Tucson and Sedona but it took most of the day.

Tet

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacation 66

Old Tucson is closed now until October 4. Hope that fits in with your time frame.

Level Contributor
68 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vacation 66

I would try not to drive anywhere at night. You miss too much scenery!

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
486 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vacation 66

Will you still be staying in Tombstone?? If so ..I would suggest you check out my review of the T Miller Hotel right on main st.. wonderful small hotel.B & B with an awesome balcony..we had so much fun in Tombstone!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,222 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vacation 66

I also recommend the drive through Salt River Canyon as an alternative route, much more scenic than driving the desert and traffic between Tucson and Phoenix.

I can also recommend the Larian Hotel in Tombstone, which TA also recommends as #1 hotel there.

Vine Grove, Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vacation 66

Thank you so much for your replies! They are very helpful. I told my husband I'd like to travel Route 66 when I'm 66. I'm 66 LOL. Going from east to west starting at Holbrook. Tombstone and Old Tucson Studio was an after thought so now trying to plan it all out. Flying into Phoenix and leaving out of Las Vegas. Will have saturday to saturday timetable ... thelrose, have checked and Old Tucson Studio will be open.

carracar .. We have stayed in a wig-wam! About 45min. from where I live is Wig-Wam Village, one of the three that are still left. I still want to see the one in Holbrook. Sandiw and bob b .. have reservations at The Grand Hotel already, hope it's not a mistake. tet14 ... that's the directions I got off internet. noazchica .. you're right, the scenery is not to be missed! We love Arizona. So different from our Kentucky green! Once again .. thank you all

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vacation 66

WigWam Holbrook has the vintage cars standing in front of them. Think WigWam Cave City is better with kids(grass!) Maybe have dinner at Joe & Aggies in Holbrook. And definitely drive between Tucson and Holbrook via Globe and Show Low if you are heading west on R66 from Holbrook.

Tet