We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend getaway from heat

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
weekend getaway from heat

we live in the Phoenix area, and nearly always take our RV to Flagstaff to chill out for a few days. We'd like to go in a few weeks without the rv, and stay in a nice motel. here's what we're looking for:

nice room with at least a queen size bed, A/C, and a nice outside pool where we can relax and have a few beers from our cooler. We like to have a cigarette when drinking beers, and found out just before we booked Little America that you can't smoke outside your room or anywhere near the pool area - deal breaker. We know that is the top-rated TA motel/hotel in Flagstaff - but what other options should we look at for a relaxing, no-stress motel? Indoor pool not as appealing as outdoor pool. I have gone thru the list here and can't decide. I can't spend Drury money, but the rest are affordable. We're hoping a local can give us a kind recommendation.

many thanks.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend getaway from heat

Do you have to have a pool? And what about AC? You do know there are places in AZ that don't even know how to spell AC, let alone what it means. How about a change of pace and get up in the mountains? Try this, they will let you do just about anything you want.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

From there you can stop in Springerville for the best rod and gun shop in the world. After that go to Pinetop for a real steak at the oldest steak house in AZ, Charlie Clark's.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g2623686-d…

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 28 July 2014, 18:19
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend getaway from heat

Just step outside the pool area at Little America. It's a great place to spend time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend getaway from heat

Well, Tet, I get what you are saying. But, you are either at the pool, on your lounge, with a beer and a smoke...or you're not. If I were looking to really relax I would not want to have to go stand outside the pool fence to eat a club sandwich. So I can relate to what he is saying.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 18:31
Arizona
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend getaway from heat

ugyved2 -

thanks for the tips, but I don't want to drive that far for just 2 nights. We have been all over the White Mts, and have fished a lot of the lakes and rivers - very beautiful.

this trip we just want to take the shortest drive possible to get the heck out the valley and chill out a bit.

We do not have a pool at home, so having one on a vacation stop at a motel/hotel is a nice treat.

We like to hit the town during happy hour and have a few cold ones, and once we return (usually to our rv at Kit Carson, we'll sit under the pines and enjoy a bite to eat and a couple more drinks after dinner. We'd like a place with some atmosphere (not the Motel 6 parking lot) outside the building. I understand the no-smoking restrictions (we don't smoke inside our home), and am ok with that - but I don't want to have to go for a stroll to a "designated smoking" area each time I want to light up. Any Flagstaff recommendations?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend getaway from heat

Have you looked at these?

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g60971-Revie…

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend getaway from heat

I hadn't until you posted the link - some interesting options, like the Wyndham look nice.

the more I look, the more I like Little America tho - having the very nice pool area and some woods is very inviting.

We may need to smoke a little less and just enjoy the area.

Thank you.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend getaway from heat

I dunno. That pool in the link at number two looked pretty good.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend getaway from heat

I checked - 3 night minimum there. Pool looks inviting tho......

Just need to get out of the valley, go somewhere nice for a couple nights.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: weekend getaway from heat

Call in sick and take the third day. I could live in that pool.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weekend getaway from heat

There's more than one way to book the Wyndham condos in Flagstaff. Check this link: http://www.extraholidays.com/

It appears they allow 2-night stays through Extra Holidays.

As far as I can recall, they have both a resort pool, and guests have access to the Country Club pool. Can't say whether alcohol and smokes are allowed within the pool area, though.