We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Crater Volcano/Wupatki loop drive

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Sunset Crater Volcano/Wupatki loop drive

Is it better to do this in any particular direction I.e. clockwise/anti clockwise? We will be coming from Flagstaff, going to the Meteor Crater then heading back to Flagstaff and want to do the above en route but not sure whether to head north on H89 and approach from the north or to enter from the south.....just wondered if one direction was a better option........

Many thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Crater Volcano/Wupatki loop drive

I think coming from the southern entrance is better. After Sunset Crater (do the lava field walk), going toward Wupatki, you get distant views of the Painted Desert as you drive along the road. Because you can see the views as you drive, you will know where to stop for a longer look. Coming from the north, someone would have to be looking out the back window to know where to stop.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Crater Volcano/Wupatki loop drive

I agree. Better to do it from the south. Also the sun will be behind you then.

City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Crater Volcano/Wupatki loop drive

It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it :)

4. Re: Sunset Crater Volcano/Wupatki loop drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 07:16