We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local transportation, etc.

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
1 post
Save Topic
Local transportation, etc.

Would like to use

Flagstaff as a base for a few days. Do not want to drive. Can I book guided tours from hotel? -- to Grand Canyon -- to other local places of interest. What about hotels within walking distance of interesting areas of Flagstaff.

Also, are there any nearby areas that were significant during the time of the Civilian Conservation Corps work programs.

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
540 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local transportation, etc.

Do a google search for Flagstaff Visitors Center. It's located in the old train station and has lots of flyers, maps, etc. I'm quite sure you'll find the information you seek at their website or a phone number where you can call to enquire.

There are several hotels in the historic downtown area, check with the Visitors Center. There is a hotel school at Northern Arizona University and they operate a small inn, that might be an interesting choice for lodging.

For walking around, keep in mind Flagstaff is about 7,000 feet in altitude. The downtown area is flat and the streets are on a grid. It's interesting to explore that restored historic area. Two don't miss sights are the Lowell Observatory and the Museum of Northern Arizona.

I would imagine that there are some CCC projects in the area, but I don't know for sure.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local transportation, etc.

When choosing a hotel in Flagstaff keep in mind where the very busy railroad tracks are. A lot of the hotels are very near those tracks. To play it safe choose something near the I-40/I-17 interchange. I know there is a Hampton Inn & Suites in that area and a few others.

flagstaff
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Local transportation, etc.

Flagstaff is a haven for cheap motels. If you are looking for something historic try the hotel Monte Vista. It's alot nicer now that all bars in Flagstaff are non-smoking. The lobby used to stink! Public Transportation in Flag is not that great as far as getting around town. Honetly downtown Flag is the only area worth walking around. As far as getting to the GC there are places/busses that leave from downtown that will take you up there and then return a couple hours later to Flag. I'd say look online for that info. I would recomend the Monte Vista hotel or Hotel Weatherford. There are other little chain hotels that are close to the downtown area but I do not know there names off hand. Any of them close to downtown will do. There are trains in Flagstaff! No matter what people say there is no such thing as "far away from train noise". You hear it everywhere. So if you need total quiet when you sleep bring ear plugs.