We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

My partner and me will be visiting Arizona later this year and plan to stay a few days in the Flagstaff area to see the Grand Canyon and Lowell observatory among other things. We also want to visit the Meteor Crater. Are there any coach or bus tours from Flagstaff to the crater or is self drive the only option?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

There are a number of day trip attractions out of Flag, A rental vehicle will prove useful ... See if you can get a "flat bed Ford" & plan on continuing to Winslow & the La Posada for lunch ... carracar

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

I understand that sometimes it isn't possible or it is difficult to get a rental car if you are from overseas or don't want to drive. If you are able, I think renting one for the day (or so) would give you more flexibility. You can make a day of it! The road to Meteor Crater is mostly divided highway and easy to travel.

I also think you would enjoy Winslow (even if you aren't a fan of the Eagles band) and La Posada. La Posada was designed by Mary Colter and built as a Fred Harvey house, which served as a rest stop for the railroad. We usually add on Walnut Canyon (just off Interstate 40) for a view of pueblo ruins. Walnut Canyon is beautiful but does involve a walk with many (200+?) steps but is well worth it. You can actually enter the dwellings. You can also drive a small bit of Rt 66 (an iconic highway - nicknamed the Mother Road since it was one of the original highways in US highway system). You can find portions of the original highway in Flagstaff and Winslow. It may be more Americana than you want!

If you are really ambitious you can also add in the Painted Desert National Park or Petrified Forest which are a bit further east.

I know that is more than you asked for but the near by sights would make a nice day trip if you are able to get a rental car.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,748 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

No idea what is meant by a "flat bed Ford." Rent any vehicle in which you would be comfortable and can afford.

Edited: 19 April 2016, 02:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

Bob B- It was a reference to the corner in Winslow in the song Take it Easy by the Eagles...

Every single person that has visited us in AZ asks to go as soon as they see it on the map. Even the teenagers.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
961 posts
163 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

There's a flatbed Ford parked at the corner already. At least it was there last year.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,677 posts
249 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

Yes that old truck will be there forever.

For the OP, plan to rent a car for your day trips. Flagstaff is central, but you'll be spending a lot of time on the roads.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
86 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

Were it not, for the Flying J truck stop, La Posada & "The Corner" ... Few would depart the I-40, enjoying a RT 66 moment ... in Winslow ... carracar

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

We don't want to rent a car! We are in our seventies and from the UK so unaccustomed to driving on the right, we wouldn't be comfortable driving. Maybe a taxi is a possibility if there are no tours.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

The drive fromflagstaf to Meteor Crater really is very easy.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Visiting Meteor Crater from Flagstaff

My partner would be doing the driving and he really doesn't want to.

Get answers to your questions about Flagstaff
Recent Conversations