We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sully Creek State Park Campground

Horse Patch, Wyoming
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sully Creek State Park Campground

There is no mention of this campground under specialty lodging for Medora and I wanted to let everyone know is a short drive south of Medora and it's a great campground. No electrical hookups or sewer hookups but it's got potable water, rv dumping site, showers, vault toilets, HORSE CORRALS (for us horse campers) and is the trail head to the Maah Daah Hey trail. Its great for us horse trail riders and is inexpensive. State Park vehicle pass is $6 a day and $10 for the campsite plus $6 for a corral for the horse. Cannot beat this. NICE campground. You can make a rservation on the web or call Roger the Ranger. Info on the internet. Search for North Dakota State Park Sully Creek Campground.

8 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Level Contributor
125 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

We discovered this campground last summer while exploring the area around Medora. We've always camped at TR NP, but were curious about this state park. Great alternative to TR, especially if you prefer peace and quiet to the commercial alternatives in town. You can't reserve the non-horse sites, but we drove through just before 4th of July last year, and the campground was empty. We will be trying it out this summer!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
4 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

I will stay here the next time I come and visit. I stayed previously in the National park It is too busy for me and has too much traffic. I checked out this campground and they only had two campers. It is pretty and they have water. Some trees for shade. It is off the busy path and out by itself. You still have wonderful views.

Edited: 16 August 2016, 03:14
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,911 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

We like Sully Creek too. Its very nice.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

We will be making our second visit to Medora this summer likely the first

couple of weeks in June. We travel in a motorhome with a small tow vehicle.

Thanks to this post I have found out about Sully Creek and it has peeked my

interest. Our last visit to Medora we stayed in the RV park "in town" the big one

along the river. We generally make reservations along the way prior to leaving

as its not always easy to find a site in the summer months.

My question is this, should anyone have opinion or know. with it being a first

come first serve campground are the odds pretty good there would be sites

available the first couple of weeks in June 2017?

We do not wish to arrive and not be able to find a place to stay in the area.

Thanks for any info...very excited about Sully Creek and hope to be able to stay

a few days.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
125 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

I'm not the definitive answer on this, but when we've visited the park it's been fairly empty. If you arrive by early evening, and don't mind being out in the big open space, you should not have a problem. We noticed the last time we stayed that by 9 or so a lot of the spaces were filled, but I still don't think it was full. That was in August. In early June I'd think it would be wide open. Hardly anyone knows about it. If you're planning to stay more than overnight you'd want to try for one of the wooded sites, as it can get really hot out in the sun. Happy camping!

Horse Patch, Wyoming
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

It's easy to make a reservation on line on the North Dakota State Park website if you so desire. Early June I would not think it would be full. We camped in August in the corral area and had it almost to ourselves. We really like the campground but aware it's primitive, no electricity and no sewer but there is a sewer dump. Also a nice shower/bath house and vault toilets.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

Thank you both for your responses. I think we are going to give it a try

for something new. We dry camp a lot and will be on a two month trek to several states.

Thought due to being "in the area" we would visit the park again just because and

the camp ground sounds like just what we are looking for.

We do a lot of dry camping here in central Oregon and love it.

Will check into making reservations also.

Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sully Creek State Park Campground

As far as I can figure its not first come first serve, but you cant reserve more than ~3 months ahead of time and may need to call the park: https:/…

Reply to: Sully Creek State Park Campground
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Medora
More Medora Topics