We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in buffalo, ny

california
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in buffalo, ny

Our family will be staying four nights in Buffalo at the end of June/beginnning of July. We stayed last year in a hotel directly across the street from the Buffalo airport and while handy on flight day, it was not "centrally located". This year, since we will have 4 nights, we want to stay in a location that will allow for as much entertainment from our hotel location as possible. We know we will be driving to interesting locales most days, but want to be able to walk from our room and get good food, beer, see some sights and mabye pick up the random grocery item. Because our child is three, we won't be staying up late and partying, but would love the ability to explore nearby in the mornings and evenings. Any thoughts as to the best area(s) to do this in? And what are some of the better hotels (3 star is fine) in that area? Thank you for your help.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Since you have a little one, I'd suggest the Hampton Inn in Williamsville. We know people who have stayed there who rave about it. Williamsville is a pretty village, great for walking, with very good restaurants, a park within walking distance of the hotel (with a pretty stream), and great shops (for example, Ten Thousand Villages, which offers Fair Trade items from artisans around the world, and -- especially -- Clayton's, THE BEST TOY STORE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD). You should also take your little pal to Jenny's Ice Cream, which serves up unusual flavors of homemade ice cream with great mix-in toppings. The Hampton Inn is also great because they have a wonderful breakfast that's included in the rate.

Williamsville is handy to the Thruway and a short drive from downtown or Niagara Falls.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Pastiche has an excellent suggestion with the Village of Williamsville. I have an alternative if you'd like to try something in the City of Bflo: it's the Elmwood Village Inn. It's located on the corner of Elmwood Ave and St. James Place. Elmwood Ave is the Melrose of Bflo, (or so I've been told). There are lots of shops, etc. within walking distance. Also, you'll be very close to the Frederick Law Olmsted designed Delaware Park, Parkways (lined with mansions), and connecting circles. Very scenic neighborhood, and St. James Place is the longest city block in Bflo!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d736967-…

california
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention we love architecture and history and nature(yeah Buffalo!). I've been reading all your previous posts and what you have already said about Buffalo, and I'm ready to sightsee and get fat! City Hall, Allentown, Albright-Knox Gallery, Charlie the Butchers, Anchor Bar are all on our wish list. And of course, we will be heading up to the falls - any advise on USA or Canadian side? We are also thinking of seeing the The Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum in Tonawanda for the little one and the Pedaling History Bicycle Museum in Orchard Park as my husband is an avid cyclist. Are these reasonably close for a half day excursion and do you reccommend any other "must do/see/eat" places? Thanks!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Many good suggestions.

Regarding the Falls, save a half day to stroll Niagara-on-the-Lake. Here is a fun and relatively relaxing one day itinerary.

Breakfast free at hotel 830am--Pick up picnic lunch at Quality Markets on Main, 1/2 mile from Hampton.

Drive to Youngstown NY and spend an 1hr touring Olde Fort Niagara1030 am-1130am. You can see Niagara on the Lake across the Niagara River. Drive and cross Lewiston bridge and take Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake. Spend a few hours in the park, nice playground, enjoy your picnic, and stroll the shops in town. Late in the afternoon retreat down the parkway to Niagara Falls. Depending on your mood, restaurant choices vary for dinner. I would suggest something easy like Kelseys or Boston Pizza right on Clifton Hill in the heart of the Canadian Side of the Falls. Few hours of seeing the Falls and you will be ready to head back to the hotel. Home by 9ish. You can substitute the Carosel Museumm for Olde Fort Niagara if you like but if you love history and architecture the French Castle in the Fort is second to none.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

My inlaws live there & I have been visiting for 30 years, often the same week you mention as it was my mother inlaw's birthday week.

I strongly second the Williamsville suggestion -- great small safe town & excellent shopping in a compact area. Rte 290 runs right by the main drag so you can pop off & on to get around the area, easily. The Clayton's toy store on the south side of Main is tops (although check out the website of Ridge Rd Station in Holley, NY for prices). The park near Ellicott Creek & a waterfall is fun for small folks. There is a great ice cream shop right next to the park---Jenny's. Try Googling it. There is a restaurant, the Creekside I think, with a deck overlooking the creek & a dam---so has noisy water & fascinating to the young. My father in law has for years regaled his grands & now great grands, with tales of the troll who lives under that bridge & has them "just missing" the troll as he peeks out at them, again & again, when we are eating there.

On the same side of Main St a couple of blocks farther East, a Pancake House with giant poofy apple pancakes & "Dutch Babies", great family place, reasonable prices---Not exactly a family place but the Eagle House a very old historic building across Main from the Creekside with good American food; eat there early enough & they won't mind small fry---

The Herrschell Carousel museum -- the museum part will not matter to the small one but they have a restored Herrschell carousel which will. If you like woodworking & stuff like that, they show how it is done & have some works in progress.

Niagara Falls will not impress the little one much either, although it will you--best view is from Canada as you know, have lunch on the deck of the restaurant that faces the Falls, on the second story---you'll see it when you get there. Great for people watching.

If you are interested in the geology of the Falls, there is a Schoelkopf geology museum on the NY side, on the road downstream of the Falls---it has very nice exhibits of how the Falls, Gorge etc were made, and a movie.

Wherever you stay, one of the "suite" places with the kitchenette will suit you well -- you can take care of breakfast or snacks with the small person without restaurant hassle.

There is the Genesee Country Museum, a bit of a drive eastward, but relocated old houses & ladies dressed up in them, explaining how they made quilts, etc.

That part of NY state is full of trilobites & such fossils--there is a Science Museum in the city of Buffalo, easily reached via the expressway, and while it is not the Museum of Natural History, it is an OK place for small people & explains local stuff well. They run occasional trips to places like an old quarry where you can dig up fossils yourself, so check out their website & see if anything is going on while you'll be there.

There is a Tops grocery on Main in Williamsville, but the larger & better selection is at Wegmans (use Google maps) on Sheridan. It is a bit of a drive from Main in Williamsville, not a walk, but one trip there would take care of your juice, milk, etc needs & they have a very good selection of prepared dinners you could bring back to the kitchenette. If you do decide to drive there, go East on Main to a L at the light at Evans, then come in the backside of Wegmans by taking a R on Essjay. This road curves & you will wind up making a L into their lot.

If you are there for the Fourth there are nice fireworks on the campus of SUNY at Buffalo, in Amherst. Get there early with a blanket.

While it is summer, it is also upstate NY so bring a sweater or light jacket for evenings---it can be very hot & humid but it also can be a bit cool at nights.

Hope this is helpful! You will have a great time!

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Oh, BTW, you didn't mention your budget -- I just checked that Hampton Inn's rates for this weekend---as it happens we are going up for my mother in law's funeral--- and they are close to $200/night.

I just booked our own family's stay at the Comfort Inn Univ (on Flint, acr from Univ) for $72 & $85/night. They gave us their bereavement rate--- it would normally have been closer to $95-105. There are a bunch of us coming in & some of the younger members are just out of college & more price sensitive than others so I wanted clean & convenient but had to keep $$$ down. It was them or the Sleep Inn on Inkeeper's Way, which we have stayed at many times & it is clean, about $105/night this week, and excellent staff. Breakfasts included both places. The Comfort Inn is a little closer to the church & funeral home, so is better for us this time.

Both these places are close to the main highways so are convenient that way but not a quick walk to nice restaurants or shopping. Hope this is helpful to you!

NY
Level Contributor
174 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

An alternative to Williamsville would be the Hampton Inn in Easr Aurora. About 20-25 min. south east of the city of Buffalo. Very walkable village. Lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. Roycroft Campus, Fisher-Price toy store, Toytown museum, Millard Fillmore Museum, Elbert Hubbard Museum. Nice parks. Local playgrounds and Knox state park. If you are in town for July 3rd, it's our "4th of July" clebration with a parade along Main St and fireworks in Hamlin Park. Easy access to rt 400.

california
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Well.... we still haven't booked anywhere yet. Indecision.....

The Elmwood Village Inn is booked out for a family that week, the Hampton is too expensive at $200 a night, we REALLY are not the mall shopper/chain store consumerism types. (No walmart, target, applebees please) We are more focused on really good, original, local food/beer, beautiful buildings, interesting history, and just walking around and discovering Buffalo. Hotel price... $150 max a night, and cheaper would be better. Just need a clean, comfortable bed, cont. breakfast or a coffee shop close by would be great. We are mid 30's, pretty casual, no BS kind of people who live in a rural area and don't get out much anymore (the 3 year old). Prior to the child, we traveled a bit: NYC a few times, Keuka Lake 5 years running now, Costa Rica (ahhhh the beach, the sun and a beer), Philadelphia, Oregon road trips.... so we like adventure. I'm sure we're making this way too hard. So there you go, any thoughts?

california
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

Forgot to add...

buffalonian, your half day on Niagra on the Lake idea sounds Perfect! thanks

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in buffalo, ny

There's another great B&B in Bflo, but it's in a mostly residential neighborhood and not convenient for walking. On the plus side, the street is full of fabulous 19th century houses, and the Beau Fleuve B&B is one of them: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d79872-R… http://www.beaufleuve.com/

The Holiday Inn is located on a busy street (Delaware Ave) close to Elmwood Ave. It's across the street from the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Ntl. Historic Site: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d93120-R…

Also, the Best Western is in the same area: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d93114-R…