We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo Wing: Anchor Bar, Duff's or else?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Buffalo Wing: Anchor Bar, Duff's or else?

My family will visit Niagara Falls tomorrow and want to try original buffalo wings. There are different opinions on which one are the best. What you guys think? For me, I do care on the taste of chicken with or without sauce, first. Then, sauce need to be harmonized with the wings (not like "swimming in the sauce" style).

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo Wing: Anchor Bar, Duff's or else?

Some people swear by Duff's, but when I've eaten chicken wings there they were served in a bowl swimming in sauce, like you mentioned. I'm not a fan... Also, I haven't eaten in the Anchor Bar in forever, but when I did they served giant monster sized wings and I'm not crazy about that either - they don't seem crispy enough (although you can order them "extra crispy.") I like a local joint called Gabriel's Gate at 145 Allen St for wings. I also like the wings at Bob and John's La Hacienda at 1545 Hertel Ave. They serve bbq style wings, too.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo Wing: Anchor Bar, Duff's or else?

Thanks for your suggestion. I searched a little further and found some local's favorites (like Gabriel's Gate), including Bar Bill Tavern, La Nova, Elmo's, or else).

Which place would be the best?

First, we don't want to detour (too much) a route (to Niagara Falls from I-90). Second, I like crispy, but saucy (perfect match) wings (no soggy or too fatty). Lastly, it would be better if they have other great foods too (for kids...non-spicy chicken wing/finger, etc...).

I guess Bar Bill is little too off. How about other two?

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffalo Wing: Anchor Bar, Duff's or else?

I'm only familiar with Gabriel's Gate and La Nova. Not sure if La Nova has tables to sit; I thought it was only take out. In any case, La Nova is known for their pizza and wings. They may have other items on their menu, too. La Nova is in a very shabby neighborhood on the west side of Buffalo. The restaurant looks very nice, but you probably won't be happy driving there... There is another location in the suburbs, too. That location is good.

www.lanova.com/store.asp…

Also, Buffalo and Niagara Falls are about 20 miles apart. It's a quick ride from Buffalo along the Niagara River if you take the I-190, ($1 toll over the Grand Island bridge). Buffalo and Niagara Falls are definitely two separate cities. However, traffic in the region is not bad at all, so it's easy to travel between the two.

Buffalo is bigger and has more restaurants and a wider variety of places to choose from. Niagara Falls is smaller with fewer choices, and more "tourist traps." There are some good Italian restaurants in N. Falls, I think. The Canadian side of N. Falls in particular is very expensive.

4. Re: Buffalo Wing: Anchor Bar, Duff's or else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 17:20