We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Thanksgiving Shopping

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Post Thanksgiving Shopping

My cousins and I are making our annual pre-Christmas shopping trip to Buffalo (too bad for us that the CDN $ is so low right now) and this year we have decided to brave the post-thanksgiving sales.

We are wondering what to expect - will the stores be really crazy? Anywhere we must go? or anywhere to avoid? We are thinking we might skip Galleria Mall and go to Eastern Hills Mall instead - it looks like it has many of the same stores but not might be as busy?

We are also thinking about staying in Amherst at either the Marriot or Hotel Indigo. Which would you recommend? Are there any places we should eat around the hotels or on Transit Rd near the mall?

I appreciate your help!

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Eastern Hills Mall
Eastern Hills Mall
20 Reviews
Williamsville, NY
Trend Up
Gift & Speciality Shops
Allen Street Dress Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Market Arcade Building
Architectural Buildings
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Thanksgiving Shopping

My experience is that the post-thankgiving rush is a bit more hype than it lives up to. I went to Dick's at the Galleria at 6:30 am last year....parked just fine and got in and out in 20 minutes. You may want to do the Galleria early and then hit the plaza's and big box retailers later. I do believe some of those blowout deals will be very good this year given our economic circumstances. be sure to purchase a Buffalo News on Thanksgiving to check out all the sales advertising.....

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Thanksgiving Shopping

You might also consider the Boulevard Mall, which (like Eastern Hills) has J.C. Penney, Macy's and Sears (with Pier 1, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, and Target a short drive north up Niagara Falls Blvd.).

Boulevard Mall has the added bonus of being right next to T.J. Maxx (GREAT bargains!) and Old Navy, and around the corner from DSW Shoe Warehouse, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Linens 'n' Things.

Mentioned in this post
Boulevard Mall
Boulevard Mall
69 Reviews
Amherst, NY
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Thanksgiving Shopping

Thanks for the tips - we might try Boulevard Mall. I had a look at their store list and they have a Hollister and an Abercrombie - two important stores to hit to buy gifts for my nieces. I've been to that mall a number of years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Boulevard Mall
Boulevard Mall
69 Reviews
Amherst, NY
Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Thanksgiving Shopping

The Mall will probably open earlier so I think I would plan on getting there early to avoid the crowd later in the afternoon.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Thanksgiving Shopping

What about the Outlet Mall that opens at midnight Thanksgiving Day? How busy is it? How early do you have to go in order to get a parking spot?

If anyone can advise if the sales are worth it for a midnight trek....it'd be appreciated!

6. Re: Post Thanksgiving Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 02:17