We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Oak Park, IL
4 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Hello,

The family is going to be in Niagara Falls for a wedding, dropping folks off at the Buffalo airport afterwards, and wanted to take an extra few days (five adults, two 5 year olds) to explore upstate new york,without having to travel longer than 3 hours from Buffalo..we thought of the Finger Lakes, but we're open to other areas that offer some activities, and state parks/natural surroundings. Ideally, we'd like a cabin near some water, or a couple of cabins..Don't need high end, but we're not big into to low end or rustic. 3-4 bedrooms. Would prefer not to be in a hotel..and rental houses seem to be more like our houses at home, rather than a cabin/lodge experience. Any suggestions from anyone? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Check out Chautauqua, New York, home of the Chautauqua Institution. It's a little over an hour and a half from Buffalo, with many activities, lovely scenery, and special events:

http://www.tourchautauqua.com/

Oak Park, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look at the site! Have a good weekend.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

I don't know about a specific place to stay but Niagara on the Lake is lovely in summer.

http://www.infoniagara.com/attractions/notl/

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

I agree with nywhiz -- Niagara-on-the-Lake is another good suggestion.

Oak Park, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have been to Niagara on the Lake, and it is very nice. A bit pricey, as well, at that time of year, and I think we may want to be a bit more in nature...near a state park, etc. But, while we're in the Niagara area, we will probably visit niagara on the lake for dinner and a walk. Thanks again everyone.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

This is a challenging request. The WNY region has much in the way natural beauty but access is an issue. The problem you might have is finding a happy medium. We have plenty of camping areas in state parks and the like but I do not think this is what your looking for. The majority of of lakefront properties are high end and pricey and not rentals. The Fingerlakes suggestion is best if your looking for a quiet cottage however two day rentals from May 30th to October 30th will be a tall order. Check vrbo.com for rentals on all our inland lakes, including Chautauqua.

Oak Park, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Thank you for the info and I continue to look in several different areas. We are actually looking to stay three to four nights, not two, but know that it can still pose a problem, as many places only do weekly rentals. We're not looking to camp (the back can't take it anymore!), but we don't need fancy, high end either. Just somewhere in between that is either lodge, cabin, or even condo-like. But I will check out the site that you have offered, and continue my search. Thanks for the feedback!

This is a challenging request. The WNY region has much in the way natural beauty but access is an issue. The problem you might have is finding a happy medium. We have plenty of camping areas in state parks and the like but I do not think this is what your looking for. The majority of of lakefront properties are high end and pricey and not rentals. The Fingerlakes suggestion is best if your looking for a quiet cottage however two day rentals from May 30th to October 30th will be a tall order. Check vrbo.com for rentals on all our inland lakes, including Chautauqua.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

Did you happen to run across this website? It might help to narrow the field....

http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/

9. Re: Looking for a place for five adults, two children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 21:17