We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming down from Canada on

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guelph, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Coming down from Canada on

My wife and I (mid 30's) are coming down on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and staying at the Hamptown Downtown. I would really appreciate any advice about a nice places to eat and clubs to go to or avoid. We want to bar hop, dance, people watch and not feel too old..lol. Thanks!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming down from Canada on

I would go to some bars on Elmwood. There is more of the adult feel as opposed to Chippewa. What type of restaurant are you looking for? TCecilias is really great and is on Elmwood. Pretty nice and not overly priced. Once you are done eating you would be right by lots of activity and other places to grab a drink...Cozumel and Coles for example.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming down from Canada on

Tou might want to think about Mother's, great food. There are lots of great bars downtown. what exactly are you searching for?

Guelph, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming down from Canada on

Thanks for the reply. As for the restaurant, I am easy to please. My wife sticks to chicken based dishes, stirfrys, fajitas and the like. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Guelph, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming down from Canada on

Thanks for the reply. As for bars, I want to mix it up. We would like to dance, but also people watch. We just want to bar hop. Not really into country music. We like retro and top 40. My daughter is 16, so ideally we want to be closer to people our age (over 30) than her age. I am always open to suggestions if you can recommend anything. I was down in Michigan on business last Thanksgiving and unfortunately couldn't party it up, so I am looking forward to doing so this year. Thanks again.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming down from Canada on

If you are looking for more basic food then you might want to try Coles on Elmwood for dinner and drinks after. Mothers is great, along with Cecilias, but you will find more upscale food at those restaurants.

I am around your age and my favorite bars are Coles on Elmwood, Cecilias for a drink, The Chocolate Bar on Chippewa or Shadow Lounge (another place for food you might consider) on Hertel.

I would suggest that you go to Coles for dinner and check out some bars in that area. You could park and walk around easily. Then, check out Chocolate Bar and other surrounding bars and see what you like. Chippewa is where you are going to find the larger bar scene. Other bars in that area that you might like are SoHo or D'Arcy McGees,

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming down from Canada on

And keep in mind that Wednesday night will be absolutely crazy on Chippewa as it is one of the biggest party nights. Also remember that one of the reasons it is so huge is everyone coming home from college. So, don't be too disappointed if you are surrounded by people in their early 20s. If Chippewa gets to be too much I would stick with Elmwood or Hertel.

And I would def. recommend walking down Elmwood in the afternoon and checking out the shops. Globe Restaurant or Brodo are two great places for an awesome lunch. Or if you are on Hertel Romeo and Juliets or Empire Grill are fantastic. All great people watching places too.

Guelph, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming down from Canada on

Thanks, I will write all this great info down. We are staying at the hampton, I think that is close to the area you have described. Thanks, i will have a drink for all of you. Cheers from Canada.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming down from Canada on

Just an FYI - I went to the Empire Grill a couple of months ago, and while I used to love their food, I found the quality had gone way downhill in a short period of time. The service was really bad, too. I have no idea what happened, but it was a big disappointment.

9. Re: Coming down from Canada on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2010, 05:32