We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo Irish Fest.

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, G
7 posts
Save Topic
Buffalo Irish Fest.

My husband and I plan to visit the 2010 Irishfest in Buffalo at the end of August and would appreciate any helpful information such as convenient places to stay, are there any shuttle services, condition of the facilities, etc.

Thanks very much

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
937 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Here is a link to the Irish Festivals website that might answer most of your questions:

http://www.buffaloirish.com/irishfestival.htm

Midland, G
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Thanks for the link. We made reservations at the suggested motel and located the fairgrounds. We will be spending about a week in the area. Is there anyone who has attended the festival before? Should we plan to spend all of our time there for the 3 days of the festival, or would one day be enough? We're trying to plan an itinerary that will let us experience as much of the surrounding area as possible in a short time. Should we overnight in Niagra Falls or is seeing the state park in the daylight hours enough? (Fireworks worth the extra time?) We are outdoor and small town people. Plan to see Letchworth SP and Watkins Glen SP. Does anyone know of a little out of the way place to possibly fish? We really like small, local events whenever we travel and have found our most satisfying experiences have come from places in no guide book or website. Thanks for any additional help.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Hello travelingflynns! I would definitely suggest staying one night at Niagara Falls - you can walk everywhere, not worry about driving home at night, plus you can absorb the place. You can even walk across the Rainbow Bridge to Canada (cheaper/shorter wait times than driving), but you must have a passport or special enhanced driver's license to get back into the USA.

I've only been to the Irish Fest once, and even though I LOVE Irish music and dance, I can't imagine attending all three days (maybe that's just me...) There is another fabulous festival occuring on two of the same days as the Irish Festival and that's the Elmwood Festival of the Arts. It's a homespun festival featuring all *local* artists and musicians. It's held on a premier Buffalo street, Elmwood Ave, which gets closed down for the two-day festival. Elmwood Ave requires a visit with or without this festival: http://www.elmwoodartfest.org/

An off the beaten track place to visit in WNY is the Chautauqua Institution. Founded as an arts, music, and religious summer retreat in the 1870s (I think) it's continued to grow over the years. Today there are a few modern condos along with quaint Victorian cottages set on picturesque Chautauqua Lake. The view of the lake as you approach from Mayville NY is fantastic!! This lake might be a place to fish... not sure about that! You must pay to get onto the grounds, except on Sundays when it's free. Must pay for parking (across the street as cars are mostly forbidden on the grounds). There are free lectures everyday, and some free musical and art events, also tickets are required for certain performances. The "season" (when the Institution is active) ends on Aug. 29th, so it might not fit your schedule. However, off-season you can get onto the grounds for free, AND drive your car. The website doesn't paint the picture of how beautiful the place is with all the mature trees, curving country lanes, hills, and gorgeous gardens everywhere. If you're interested, please let us know if you'd like more info (like where to stay). http://www.ciweb.org/about-chautauqua/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chautauqua_Institution

I always recommend a trip to City Hall, open business days. FREE one-hour tours are given business days from 12:00-1:00, meet in the lobby. The listing is toward the bottom of this first page: preservationbuffaloniagara.org/page/… tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60974-d276508/Buffal…

Here is a list of events planned around the time you'll be in town: www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/cal/default.asp…

Happy traveling!

-Dee

Edited: 09 June 2010, 19:02
Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
937 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Chautauqua Lake is definitely the place to fish - check out these links.

nyfisherman.net/chautauqualakecharters.html

http://chautauqualakefishing.com/

A few years back a 3 foot Musky was caught right off our dock! Chautauqua Lake is beautiful area and lots of entertainment in Bemus Point on Sunday afternoons - here is a schedule of the events on the floating stage at Bemus Point.

http://www.italianfisherman.com/events.htm

You will love Letchworth and Watkins Glen SP.

Midland, G
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Thanks SO much for the helpful information!

I have checked out the web sites you suggested and will certainly have to make some time for the Elmwood Festival, as well as the Chautauqua Institution.

Yes, we would like more info. about places to stay in the Chautauqua Lake area! That sounds like it would be great. Haven't nailed down flights yet, so don't know if we will be in the area before or after the 29th.

You have been a wealth of information!

Midland, G
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Thanks for the reply! The websites you suggested showed what good fishing and entertainment could be had in the area! Definitely will be spending some time here! Could you suggest a small, non-chain motel around the Bemus Point area?

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

Did you try posting your question on the Chautauqua Forum? Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g47452-i2671-Chaut…

Also, the only hotel I know of in the area is in Mayvile. It's called Webbs: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48138-d1157335…

-Dee

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
937 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

here is a link for the Hotel Lenhart. It is in the heart of Bemus Point.

Its an old hotel with lots of character -

www.hotellenhart.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47308-d1101819…

there was an article on fishing this sunday in the Jamestown paper - if I can locate it I will PM you the article.

9. Re: Buffalo Irish Fest.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 05:16