We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

We will be travelling form Buffalo to Chicago in December. Just wondering what facilities the station provide? Enclosed heated waiting area? Toilets? Is it safe in the night time as the train leaves at 11:59 midnight?

All information provided will be very much appreciated.

Susan

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Hi mingalin, the Depew Station is small, and it is enclosed with heat and with toilets. The area is a little forlorn, but it's definitely safe. There is no restaurant, but I think there are some vending machines. The trains often do not run on-time so you might have to wait a little past midnight to begin your trip.

-Dee

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Hi Lady_Dee, thank you for reply to my post. From what I read it seems the train is often late, but will there be a station master on duty? Also what is it like in the evening in downtown Buffalo in December? I am thinking of get food and walking around. Anywhere I can leave our luggage? How much does it cost if we take a cab from downtown to the station? Looking forward to your reply.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Hi again, the Depew station is in the suburbs, not far from the airport. Not sure how late the staff stay on at the station - maybe someone else can answer that? From what I remember there was someone working there at least until midnight...

Will you be staying in or starting from downtown Buffalo? I think it costs around $30.00 for a taxi from downtown to the airport or to the train station. If you are starting from downtown and you want to save money, you could try the airport shuttle bus #204 which costs $1.75 and takes you to the airport (limited schedule). Then you catch a quick taxi to the train station. Here's the link to the bus info: http://www.nfta.com/metro/airport.asp

Downtown Bflo tends to be rather empty at night, but there are some restaurants/bars which are nice and lively. There isn't a good place to leave luggage, unfortunately. In December, it will most likely be pretty cold outside.

Let me know if this helps.

-Dee

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Hi Dee, thank you so much. It is of great help. We are not staying in. The tour we are looking at joining will end in Buffalo airport. As I am scared of flying, a train ride seems the only alternative. Knowing what to expect in Buffalo helps me to prepare for our trip.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Hi mingalin, there are restaurants in the Buffalo airport, but I think you need a plane ticket to get into the gates where the restaurants are. There are restaurants across the street (Genessee St.) from the airport that you can walk to (you could ask for recommendations inside the airport on the lower level by the baggage claim). Genessee St. is a very busy street and you might not like crossing it very much. However, you could walk and then return to the airport for a taxi to the train station. Hope this helps! Happy traveling!!

-Dee

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

Thank you as always, Dee.

7. Re: Amtrak Buffalo Depew station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 07:39