We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

This is our first visit to Buffalo and we would like to know a good place to park to walk around Elmwood area. On a point of principle, I always visit public library in any town/city I go to. Is there a branch you could recommend? Last of all, I am here to buy a mother of the bride outfit. Any suggestions? Thanks! Love coming to the US, and always find people so friendly and welcoming.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

Hi harrietgate,

I would definitely recommend parking on a residential side street between Elmwood Ave and Delaware Ave either north or south of W. Ferry St. For example, Auburn, Cleveland, Highland, Lexington, etc. Just pay attention to the parking signs and you should be fine (might have to walk a block to Elmwood but you'll enjoy the walk!)

There is a small library branch right on Elmwood Ave near Highland but I would recommend a trip to the Central library in downtown Buffalo at Lafayette Square. It's next door to the newly renovated Lafayette Hotel (from 1904) and I would recommend a quick trip inside the beautiful hotel if you're interested. There's also a *great* view of Buffalo's City Hall and Niagara Square from the steps fo the Central Library.

Regarding the MOB dress, I'm not sure what to tell you. TJ Maxx, maybe? Not sure if they have MOBs, but you could check out the Allen Street Dress Shop which is located at 89 Allen St off of Elmwood Ave: http://thedressshop.com/Welcome.html

Enjoy your trip to Buffalo!

-Dee

canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

Thanks, Dee, for all that great information!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

Unfortunately, T.J. Maxx does not have Mother of the Bride dresses.

I found this place on Harlem Road, and the site says they carry dresses for the moms:

http://www.christinesbridalshop.com/

David's Bridal on Niagara Falls Blvd. is also a good source:

www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_Bridal-Party

And you might try Macy's at the Boulevard Mall or Saks Fifth Avenue and similar stores at the Walden Galleria.

canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

Thanks, Pastiche!

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

There is a great local bridal shop in orchard park, about 20 min from downtown, called m.a.Carr. I was there a few months ago buying a communion dress for my daughter and they have beautiful gowns! Just up the road, about one minute, there is a great consignment shop called the clothes horse with a lot of mob type dresses at good prices and with helpful staff. Definitely try the central library, and maybe check out the rare books. Enjoy your trip!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

Harrietgate... I saw your post on the Savannah Forum. It prompted me to ask you if you are kin to the James Hargreaves that invented the Spinning Jenny?

Our family had the same history. The trouble was that when we did more research we found that there was another James Hargreaves there at the same time.

7. Re: Parking for Elmwood Village and best downtown Library branch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:41