We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Kansas City
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Hi Buffalo experts!

I've landed a summer consulting gig in Niagara Falls and am looking for just the right area to stay. Though I'll be working in N.F. I don't much care about a 30 minute drive (or so) if I can find a more happenin' part of the metro.

I am a young at heart adult and would like to find a hip area with some sophistication and a lively bar scene. By bar scene I don't mean some testosterone infused spikey hair frat boy club but rather am looking for an area and specific recommendations where fun, intelligent, interesting people hang out. I like artsy-schvartsy and bohemian types. A couple areas that have been suggested are Allentown and Delaware Park in Buffalo.

To summarize... Looking for recommendations for general parts of town, extended stay hotel recommendations and bar suggestions.

What do you guys think??

Dankman

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

D-Man,

I didn't know that you were the artsy type-well make sure that you take the time to travel up to Lewiston and check out ArtPark. It is a most unusual place-Also they have a free concert every Tuesday-it is a huge party-This week it was Little Feat. I think next week it is Jon Secada.

While you are there, take a ride on the Whirlpool Jet Boats that dock right outside of the Park-it is expensive but it is an unforgettable experience. Take a change of clothes-you get WET!!!

Lewiston is also a charming town with quite a few bars and eateries that are different. It may be a nice little side trip.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

I'm miffed that I missed Little Feat who I would go out of my way to see. Grrrr.

I've spent a little time in Lewiston - not too much. Charming little borough. Been to a couple saloons there both of which were plenty good. I had briefly considered setting myself up in Lewiston rather than Buffalo (my gig is in Niagara Falls - not seriously considered as a place to stay). I decided against Lewiston only because I thought the town was a bit too small. Thought I'd outgrow it.

Allentown art fest was tres-fun. Kinda more of a street festival than a fine arts festival - which is perfectly ok. Typical of art fests everywhere (including mine alas) I found the art sorta tame. For the masses - also completely understandable. And I regard most "crafts" with contempt - consider them rubbish.

Just can't get enough fried dough!

The Music is Art (is that right?) rogue-event on Franklin was mondo-better art-wise than the main event. Plus the people hangin' there were more interesting. More edgy. Edgy = good don't you know.

I may take your jet boat suggestion. Normally I avoid touristy things - attracting as they do, in general, tourists. But may allow an exception for such an outing.

Had drinks and appetizers at "Left Bank" last night. Ate at the bar of course. I can wholeheartedly recommend the both the softshells and the kick *ss salmon / asparagas salad. Nice big drinks too.

Thanks Buffalusians for your continued suggestions which are much appreciated.

This way to the Egress, Citzens!

Geo

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Check out the Taste of Buffalo in July. It offers a wide variety of food, and will also give you a way to taste different restaurants offerings.

Buffalo, NY
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Well, I was going to suggest a place to stay, but I see you have got everything all figured out now. I was reading all your posts, fascinated. People in Buffalo are so helpful, and nice, arent they? Well, looks like you are off to a good start. I actually work at a hotel in the Allentown area, and was going to suggest that area to you. As far as bars, I spend far too much time at Hardware myself, and I was going to suggest that as well. But, like I said, seems as though you have it all figured out. OK yellow Cal shirt. See you at Babik sometime.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Beloved yellow Cal sweatshirt has been mostly retired to escape Buffalo's legendary oppressive heat.

Why o why did I sublet an un-air conditioned apartment?! What was going through my mind?

Expanded my home range a bit this weekend by heading south to Angola Sunday. Stumbled across Mickey Rats which was plenty fun in a fleshy / beery sort of way. Fought off an impure thought or two, I did, which thoughts I sincerely doubt were recriprocated by, well, pretty much anyone.

Wanted to watch the last few holes of the Open (nice choke Phil) so on the way back to Buffaloville stopped in at another place that turned out really good. "Root 5", conveniently found on route 5, where I made a serious run at the elusive World Scotch Record. Good mix of friendly people and BIG drinks (always a plus), all skillfully catalyzed by Jeff (Geoff?) - an absolutely first rate bartender.

I'm gonna maybe go there tonight for the hockey game. TV set up isn't so swell but that is of minor concern.

Yeah, more drinks... that's what I need.

Thanks everyone. Keep the suggestions flyin' - appreciate them all!

This way to the Egress, Citizens!

Dank

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

I don't know if you have been able to pick up a copy of the local alternative newspaper yet, but it is called Artvoice. Also pick up their 2006 dining guide, which just came out, and lists good restaurants, and contains a bunch of menus. I have found the paper in Tops and Starbucks.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
49 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

North Buffalo, Kenmore, and the Town of Tonawanda are really nice. Tons of restaurants, bars, and stores, and the real estate prices are reasonable.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
49 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Oh, oops. I see you have a place to stay.

Check out Hertel Avenue in North Buffalo, for some cool bars and restaurants.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Well my consulting contract got extended another month and now I'm looking for a new place to stay for August.

Allentown / Elmwood is where I want to be. Anyone know of a furnished place for August??? I'm open to any ideas especially interesting ones.

For anyone reading this, I highly recommend the concert series at Gateway Park in North Tonawanda. Interesting mix of people - just the right scale. Easy to get to and park. All free - my favorite price.

Superior, sez me, to ArtPark in Lewiston which is ok but a little stuffy.

Keep the cards and letters coming!

Dank

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Hey Buffalo-eans - Where should I set up??

Dank-

I hope you caught the taste of Buffalo.

I still think you should get the houseboat-

Remember Canal Fest is coming-you could have the best seat in the houseboat for the free concerts.