We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car across the border.

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hire car across the border.

Hi, We are flying in to Buffalo and want to hire a car and drive over the boarder into Canada we will be returning the car to Buffalo.

What documents do we need and are we allowed to take car over the border. We will have our British passports.

Ian

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car across the border.

as long as the hire company allows it, there is no extra paperwork

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car across the border.

I assume you're renting the car at the Buffalo Airport. Virtually all rental companies will allow this as a matter of routine. There should be no extra charges, but confirm this and the company's permission to take the car into Canada. I wouldn't rent from any company that did want to impose extra charges, but I've never run into this.

It's conceivable that Canadian Border Protection might want to see the rental contract.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,163 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car across the border.

Hi Ian;

As citizens of the UK, all that you need to enter Canada, are your passports.

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the state or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Some companies offer unlimited mileage, but only within the US. The rental company will use the onboard GPS to track your usage. The extra per mile charges can add up quickly, so be sure to ask in advance.

Best Regards

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car across the border.

In followup to RescueTeam:

I've never been charged extra mileage for any rental I've taken into Canada, and I've done this several times. Personally, I wouldn't rent from any company that didn't provide unlimited mileage, including your side trip into Canada. I don't think you'll have any problems finding major companies that meet your needs in this regard.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire car across the border.

One other thing to consider is insurance. Make sure that the company's (or your own if you're using that) covers you while in Canada.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 13:56
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire car across the border.

American auto insurance, including that provided by car rental companies, is valid in Canada. There should be no extra charges for this coverage beyond what you were already paying for coverage in the U.S.

It is, of course, still wise to confirm this with the car rental company.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 15:29
7. Re: Hire car across the border.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:17