We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

We are heading to Myrtle Beach in July for a vacation. We live in Canada and where orginally from the UK. We came to Canada as a landed immigrant in in the 80's. We just became citizens of Canada in May (After 21 years ...finally! yes we do procrastinate lol).

Before we where citizens we would use our UK passports, and our landed immigrant paper for proof of ID when entering the United States. We haven't applied for Canadian passports yet, but we do have a proof of citizenship card. Would that basically be the equivalent of a Canadian birth certificate, to get into the United States?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

Forgot to add this:

Before we became Canadian citizens, when we entered the United States we had to get a temporary visa because we where from the UK. Do Canadians need a US visa for a temporary visit?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

I would call immigration or access thier web site. I think border security is going to be super tight this summer.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

My husband used to get through the border with just his citizenship card years ago, before he had a passport. Just make sure you have other picture ID (SIN card, driver's license, health card etc).

With tight security, it might be in your best interest to apply for your passports now. You can get one within 2 weeks. And yes, your citizenship card has the same "value" as a birth certificate in terms of your Canadian identity.

Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

I just crossed the border in buffalo in May with my U.K passsport and my canadian citzenship card. Never had any problems, but you must carry both.

5. Re: Crossing into the United States with a proof of citzenship...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 19:19