We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 8th event in Buffalo,

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
33 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
February 8th event in Buffalo,

Other than perhaps bitter cold and snow piled up alongside the roads - and barring some Godawful storm that particular weekend - should I be okay in driving from Pittsburgh to Buffalo Feb 7 and returning here Feb 9th?

I guess what I am asking about is how your roads are kept in the winter. In Pittsburgh, we get snow. Not as much as Buffalo. But even for, say, a 10" overnight snow, we are set up for it and the roads are cleared and salted promptly.

I am assuming it is the same in Buffalo?

I have a relative who lives in Seattle. When they get 2" of snow, which is not very often, the entire city is a friggin' mess for days, they will close the schools for 3 days. They have no plows, no salt, the people don't have proper tires on their cars and they most assuredly don't know how to drive in snow. They end up having these massive pileups. (Youtube has some amusing videos on this)

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Bella

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February 8th event in Buffalo,

Hi Bella,

Of course, I can't guarantee anything, but Buffalo is very well equipped to deal with snow, should it snow. Where I live - in the northtowns - we haven't had a significant amount of snow in several years (so maybe we're due!) Like Pittsburgh, I'm sure, Buffalo has a freeze and thaw cycle and when it does snow, it doesn't usually stay around for a long time since it melts... The weather prediction for storms is generally very good so just follow the weather news and you should be fine.

-Dee

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February 8th event in Buffalo,

That is a dicey proposition since Pittsburgh is in the mountains so just getting to the I-90 will be difficult. You will take route 90 along lake Erie and that can be extremely treacherous because of lake effect snow storms. Lady Dee lives in the Northtowns which get a fraction of the snow the Southtowns do. We have good snow removal here but if its snowing heavily you could get stranded as happened recently when they closed the I-90. If the weather is good you will be ok if we have a storm all bets are off.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February 8th event in Buffalo,

Hi Bella;

I would suggest keeping your plans flexible and checking the weather forecast often.

Best Regards

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February 8th event in Buffalo,

If we have a warm fall and lake Erie is not frozen at the time of your trip we could get lots of snow. Best is to be prepared and watch the forecasts. Its impossible to predict the weather here.

5. Re: February 8th event in Buffalo,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:18