We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for local information

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for local information

Hi, I am coming to Boston and surrounding area in April. I will have a car. I am planning to cover the following areas (time dependant): Boston MA, Rhode Island, Hartford CT, New Haven, Buffalow/Niagra, then MAYBE Montreal.

I am after some suggestions of things to do and not to do. I am open to all ideas as I have no preconceved ideas so will consider anything.

All info greatly recieved, and also if there are any other places that you reccomend while I am on my travels.

Many thanks for your time.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,496 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for local information

Hi Kelly;

I do hope that you have a few weeks for your trip and to visit all those destinations and more !

Buffalo is approx. 455 miles / 732 km from Boston, a non-stop drive of approx. 7.5 hours.

Best Regards

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for local information

Hi, i have just over 2 weeks to do it. Realistically i dont think i will do montreal too. I know there is a fair bit of driving, but this will be the 4th trip with this mileage that i have done on my own in the usa/canada so i know what to expect.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for local information

Hi Kelly,

I always recommend a visit to Buffalo City Hall. There is a FREE 1-hour tour from 12 noon - 1pm Monday through Saturday, closed on holidays. If you can't make the tour, you can take the elevator to the top floor (25th) and then walk up some flights of steps to the outdoor observation deck.

Here is a nice 4-min. video introduction to Buffalo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNYue0Os55A If you see anything in the video you're interested in, let me know the time (City Hall is at 1:59, for example) and I can likely tell you what/where it is.

Another list of things to do in Buffalo: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20984-Explorin… Again, please ask if you have any questions or would like other ideas.

Bon voyage!

-Dee

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for local information

Hey, I just found this 6-min. video about Buffalo food and restaurants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxM7ZuQczVY If you're a vegetarian, you might want to skip this!

-Dee

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for local information

Do you like architecture? The Darwin D Martin house by Frank Lloyd Wright is fabulous.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for local information

What are you after in Hartford & New Haven? Hartford´s just a big insurance co town with some racial strife, New Haven has Yale but aside from that its a whiz thru I think, also you see lots of urban blight. Better maybe to see Providence, Newport RI and then Provincetown on the cape, or even head up to Portland Maine which is beautiful & interesting...

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for local information

I too think that Harford CT is a surprising place to be on your itinerary unless you are visiting someone there. Instead, I would suggest a place along your route to Buffalo, which would be route 90. Lenox Massachusetts is a nice town as is nearby Stockbridge. Norman Rockwell lived and painted in Stockbridge. Can't get more American than Norman Rockwell. :)

Prepare to eat well in Buffalo. I always do! Roast beef on weck, Ted's hotdogs, Anderson's frozen custard and buffalo wings (I like Anchor Bar's, but Duff's is a worthy contender) are some of my favorites when we visit.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for local information

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts on this, I now have plenty of things to Google and investigate further. New Haven and Hartford are not specifically places that I want to go to, more just larger places that I mentioned to give an idea of which areas I was covering. There is a Hard Rock Cafe down that way (I forget exactly where now) so will be heading in that general direction as I collect their pin badges....

Buffalo
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for local information

For more ideas, check out www.VisitBuffaloNiagara.com or call 1-800-BUFFALO

10. Re: Looking for local information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 07:19