We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

border crossing in Easter weekend

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
border crossing in Easter weekend

Hello!

We are crossing border to Buffalo airport on Saturday during Easter weekend.

My domestic flight depart on 11 am and I am wondering what time should we cross the border (Peach bridge or Rainbow bridge) in such a busy weekend.

Do you think around 6 am is good to go?

Please give me any advice!

Thank you!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

6 AM is good maybe 7AM as well. I would recommend the Peace Bridge. Most of the traffic going into the US is Canadians shopping and the malls don't open until 10 so you should be OK.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

I was born/raised in buffalo area.

Use peace bridge or use the Lewiston/queenston bridge.

The Lewiston bridge is what turns into I-190 I where you will have a toll over grand island bridges. After the 2nd bridge you take I-290, to I-90 then to Kensington expressway/airport signs that lead to the airport.

With the peace bridge you will have to then have to take I-190 south to I-90 north to Kensington expressway /route 33. I believe there is a toll both on 190 in the part you will be driving. The stretch of downtown buffalo to I-90 along I-190.

The unpredictable will be customs. After crossing it would take you 30 minutes from peace bridge and about 45 minutes from niagara falls. Buffalo is a smaller airport. If you are just doing carry on only then being there an hr before you will be fine. If you are checking bags on an airline not southwest, add about -5 minutes, if it's southwest add 45 minutes.

Another thing to look into.....do an airport park and ly or cross Friday night and stay at a hotel on the US side.

NY
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

We will be crossing the other way and flying out of Toronto on the same day. Do you think there will be traffic around Toronto on Saturday?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

One of the best things I have ever done was get a Nexus pass. This allows me to use the small Whirlpool Rapids bridge (about a mile north of the Rainbow bridge). There is never, ever, a delay on this bridge, even on the busiest of holidays. Well worth the money. Look into it.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

Hi marsonmanor;

There is always traffic in Toronto. The highways in the area around Pearson Int'l Airport are busier than the Los Angeles freeways.

Times to avoid, in Toronto;

6 am to 10 am / 3 pm to 7 pm

Best Regards

NY
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

Thank you!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

You're Welcome !

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

Hi!

Thank you guys!!!

Sorry I have not been here for a while!

Your advise is awesome! I appreciate it.

9. Re: border crossing in Easter weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:15