We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa/Esta

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Visa/Esta

Hi everyone, please can you tell me if i need a Visa or an ESTA to enter the USA from Canada (Niagara, Ontario to Buffalo)

I am a UK citizen traveling from the UK to Toronto-Niagara-Buffalo Airport-Boston.

Many thanks!

DC
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa/Esta

As long as those Canadians insist that they're a different country you do.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa/Esta

Unfortunately, you sometimes get erroneous information on TA, as in the above post.

ESTA is not valid for ground crossings, and UK citizens do not require visas to enter the U.S. What you do need is an I94W Visa Waiver, which consists of filling in forms, being photographed and finger printed, and paying $6 cash. You will get this at the U.S. Customs booth when you cross into the U.S.booth, and will take about 1/2 hour.

And none of the above has anything to do with Canada.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,049 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa/Esta

>>"As long as those Canadians insist that they're a different country you do."<<

The OP is from the UK. What does Canada have to do with the entry requirements, of a UK citizen, to the United States ?

Answer - NOTHING

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa/Esta

The key issue, as far as US entry is concerned, is that you're coming in across a land border. That's why you'll continue to use the "old" visa waiver forms rather than ESTA, which is an electronic form of visa waiver for air arrivals. If you'd already entered the US on an ESTA, direct from the UK and then took a side trip to Canada, you wouldn't need another visa waiver form to re-enter the US on the same trip. This is, of course, subject to time limitations, but those wouldn't arise with a side trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario, for example.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa/Esta

"an electronic form of visa waiver for air arrivals"

....air or sea arrivals.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa/Esta

Many thanks for the advice!

7. Re: Visa/Esta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:16