We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LIghthouses

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
LIghthouses

Hello friends on TA!

I have a "stab in the dark" question for all of the experts in the St. Lawrence Seaway area of the state, so please let me know if I need to post this on another forum.

I am looking for a lighthouse that was also used as a fish hatchery that was in the area of the St. Lawrence Seaway. This lighthouse was run by members of our family in the 50's/60's and we would, if possible, like to see it if is still standing.

Unfortunately, we do not know of the exact location, but we know that it was north of Watertown, so I'm hoping that someone out there from this forum would have some information, or could point me in the right direction to get more information. I have tried the Watertown forum, but thought I may get more responses by also posting on this forum.

I would appreciate any help that I could get. Thank you in advance for helping me with this task!

Edited: 25 June 2014, 13:39
NY
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LIghthouses

I'm not sure of north, only ones I know of are on presque isle in Pennsylvania and dunkirk, NY both on lake Erie. Just an idea to contact one of them and they might know of others? Good luck!

Edited: 26 June 2014, 23:15
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LIghthouses

Whatever you're looking for, it would be on Lake Ontario rather than Lake Erie. Try this website, or just Google Lake Ontario lighthouses.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/ontario.html

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LIghthouses

Thank you for your replies, it's given me a place to start.

I've researched both of your suggestions, but no luck so far. I also received a suggestion from a member of the lighthousefriends, and am continuing to pursue that suggestion.

Next step is to google fish hatcheries. :)

Again, thank you for your help. I still have a few weeks before we will be in the area. With any luck we'll have more information before then.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LIghthouses

Hi kasaWisconsin;

Actually, the area north of Watertown NY wouldn't apart of either Great Lake, but that of the St. Lawrence River.

I would suggest contacting the St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation. They would surely know what lighthouses lie in their waters.

greatlakes-seaway.com/en/…index.html

Best Regards

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LIghthouses

Thanks very much!

If nothing else, I'm certainly enjoying looking into the area. Beautiful and historic!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LIghthouses

You're Welcome !

Enjoy !!

Washington...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LIghthouses

You may have found what you're looking for by now, but I know that there is a lighthouse near the Salmon River fish hatchery in Pulaski, NY. I used to live up that way. Pulaski is halfway between Watertown and Syracuse, though, so it may not be it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LIghthouses

Thank you for the info! I will look into it!

9. Re: LIghthouses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:16