We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

You don't see many trip reports on this forum, so I thought I might add one. Buffalo is a great city to visit and everyone we encountered was friendly. We will be back at some point and thanks for your help on the forum.

The Mansion on Delaware, 414 Delaware Avenue, www.mansionondelaware.com: All you really need to know about this property is that it has on-demand car service. No worrying about parking, having a couple of drinks or arguing with your spouse over directions, they take care of all of it. And if that isn’t enough, they have a great breakfast each morning and drinks in the afternoon. The drinks in the afternoon were popular with people from Cleveland. The Mansion made our stay in Buffalo, we dropped off the car when we arrived and didn’t get back in it until we left three days later. The rooms aren’t spectacular, but the staff is great and the extras make it worth it.

Albright-Knox Art Gallery, 1285 Elmwood Avenue, www.albrightknox.org: This is an excellent art gallery. They had selections from the permanent collection on exhibit and it was an excellent representation of their holdings.

Burchfield Penny Art Center, 1300 Elmwood Avenue, www.burchfieldpenny.org: Burchfield is the only museum dedicated to art and artists of Western New York. It was undergoing an installation of a displacement barge, but the installation was part of the exhibit and you could ask the installers questions if you liked.

Anchor Bar, 1047 Main Street, www.anchorbar.com I was prepared to be disappointed. In the Albany area we have plenty of places that do great chicken wings and everyone has their favorites, so I didn’t think that the Anchor Bar could live up to the hype. I was also worried that it would be crowded and “Disneyfied”. But I have to say it was a dark bar with a lot of stuff on the walls and ceiling. The wings were good and we had a few beers, definitely a place that you could spend an afternoon.

Buffalo Bison, Coca Cola Field, 275 Washington Street, www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t422: You have to love Triple A baseball, best available seats, $12 a piece. It was a good game and the food and drinks were cheap. I have been to Major League games that have been less entertaining and paid a lot more.

Theodore Roosevelt Inauguration Site, 641 Delaware Avenue, www.trsite.org: A National Park Site with guided tours (or as our guide pronounced it “tur”). The tour was well done and quick, but a little too reliant on modern techniques, such as prerecorded information and computer graphics.

Buffalo City Hall, 65 Niagara Square, http://www.preservationbuffaloniagara.org/: This is one of the largest city halls in the United States. It is a very impressive building, that some day I hope to see. After 50 minutes of the tour, we still hadn’t left the first floor and we needed to be at the Martin House in an hour. The tour guide a lot of knowledge that he wanted to share, but efficiency might have been more appreciated.

The Martin House Complex, 125 Jewett Parkway, http://www.darwinmartinhouse.org/: This is a Frank Lloyd Wright complex that has undergone an extensive renovation, actually still is undergoing renovation. Excellent representation of his work and really a showcase for the different elements he emphasized.

Tempo Restaurant, 581 Delaware Avenue, www.tempobuffalo.com: A great restaurant not too far from our hotel. It featured Italian cuisine with very good service. It appeared that a lot of people were out on date night and most people were dressed to impress.

Trinity Episcopal Church and Christ Chapel, 389 Delaware Avenue, http://buffaloah.com/a/del/389/hp/hp.html: The stained glass windows were by Tiffany and Lafarge. It was neat to find something we didn’t plan on.

Knight Slider/FallyMac, food trucks outside the New Era cap building, 160Delaware Avenue, http://www.bflofoodtrucks.com: We came across these food trucks one afternoon and it made for a quick cheap lunch.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Great TR, you really covered a lot, glad you enjoyed yourself.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for sharing this, TPXB! The details are excellent.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Love your report, thank you for taking the time to post it. "The drinks in the afternoon were popular with people from Cleveland." Lol... It reminds me of people from Buffalo!

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
947 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Yes - thank you for sharing your Buffalo experience! And when you return hope its another positive experience.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

And thanks for your help. We learned a lot in this forum. I wish this forum got more questions than ones about the Bills and the Sabres, because you folks know your city.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for this, great report.

We'll be there in just over a week and have one of the 2 hour tours at the Martin House booked. Curious as to your thoughts on the tour itself (your docent, the extent of what you got to see, etc)

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

I'm glad we took the two-hour tour, we got to see more parts of the complex than the one-hour (obviously). But two-hours is a long time to be on a tour. The docent was excellent and in fact I think we were done closer to an hour and forty five minutes.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Thanks!

2 more hours of FLW on tap the following day for us at Falling Water outside Pittsburgh! We're getting about a decade's worth of Wright in 2 days!

9. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:15