We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

Manahawkin, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

Good day all. On my first visit to Buffalo NY I have 1 day to indulge the foodie in me, and I've been a lover of BBQ and hot sauces all my life. I'm seeking the nuclear-ground-zero paragon BBQ "Buffalo" chicken wing. Research has revealed the Anchor Bar, the apparent mother of the flavor, so I will stop there. Any other recommendations? I am open to restaurants, local trucks, stands, whatever you think is great. I know I'll be in the area of the military ship museums. This will be the last weekend in May. Thank you! Mike.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Anchor Bar
Anchor Bar
2,697 Reviews
Buffalo, NY
New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

Hi Spike,

Anchor Bar invented the original chicken wing which is doused in hot sauce, not bbq. My favorite bbq chicken wings are from La Nova, on the west side of Buffalo. If you phone them they answer "NO-vuh," in a deep voice...

-Dee

Mentioned in this post
Anchor Bar
Anchor Bar
2,697 Reviews
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

Try Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

Duffs is the other famous wing spot. I'm not huge on bbq wings but I'd say you're good with any three of these recommendations. Gabriel's gate being the most "local".

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

While Anchor bar and Duff s are the best known for Buffalo wings, we echo the vote for Gabriel's gate. At the naval park, try the Liberty Hound, especially outside if the weather is good. Surprisingly good. For traditional BBQ, we like Kentucky Grey's in the suburb Cheektowaga....great ribs. It's not far from the airport, if that is your point of entry to the area.

Mentioned in this post
Anchor Bar
Anchor Bar
2,697 Reviews
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Liberty Hound
Liberty Hound
321 Reviews
Buffalo, NY
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
5. Re: Where to eat the essential BBQ experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2017, 07:17