We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals near the Amtrak Station in Buffalo

Saint Paul...
6 posts
car rentals near the Amtrak Station in Buffalo

We are planning a trip by Amtrak from Chicago to Buffalo or thereabouts, from which we would like to rent a car to proceed to Niagara on the Lake and other locations in Ontario for work purposes.

Am I correct that Buffalo would be the best place to cross into Canada?

Are there any reaonably priced car rentals near the Amtrak Station in Buffalo?

Would there be any problem taking a rental car into Canada? (We'd probably return it in Detroit.)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,488 posts
31 reviews
11. Re: car rentals near the Amtrak Station in Buffalo

The Lakeshore Limited from Chicago, which is what the OP plans to take, arrives in Buffalo/Depew around 9 in the morning, not in the middle of the night. Here's the timetable:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/596/930/Lake-Sh…

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
353 reviews
12. Re: car rentals near the Amtrak Station in Buffalo

My error, sorry. I have only taken it from Buffalo to NYC (but not in years); I didn't realize the service had deteriorated so much. Almost 12 hours from Chicago to Depew? I'd want to get out and push. Seriously, I would rent a car in Chicago and drive (driving thru Canada from Detroit saves miles and tolls), or look at Southwest or others for flights. I have no idea what the train fare is, but I know it's not cheap considering the lack of service. Certainly with more than one person, renting a car would be cheaper and faster, especially since you are going to rent a car anyway. It's an easy drive.

13. Re: car rentals near the Amtrak Station in Buffalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2017, 05:16