We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip to Buffalo

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip to Buffalo

My boyfriend and I are going to Niagara Falls on Monday, May 2 and spending a few days. We are looking to spend 1 days at Niagara Falls and walk some of the trails that they have. However, we are also looking for great hiking trails that are within a couple hours of Buffalo. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip to Buffalo

Hi Taylor,

My personal favorite is the Griffis Sculpture Park, partly because it's full of surprises with outdoor sculptures in wooded areas and open meadows, all surrounded by rolling hills. It is not far from Ellicottville NY, a ski resort area with a picturesque downtown (good for lunch, or a spot of coffee).

The following link has suggestions for hikes by county (including Griffis). The three counties to the south of Niagara County (home of Niagara Falls) are: Erie, Cattaraugus, and Chautauqua. http://www.wnyhikes.com/griffis.php

Hope this helps!

-Dee

Mentioned in this post
Griffis Sculpture Park
Griffis Sculpture Park
111 Reviews
East Otto, NY
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
Chautauqua
Chautauqua
Chautauqua County, NY
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Trip to Buffalo

Hello Taylor! My family hikes the area quite often when the weather is nice. We love Letchworth State Park, Tifft Nature Preserve, Chestnut Ridge Park, and Stiglmeier Park. All have fantastic trails and beautiful views. Letchworth is just plain huge, and there is a lot to see and do there aside from hiking if interested. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
Letchworth State Park
Letchworth State Park
1,272 Reviews
Castile, NY
Tifft Nature Preserve
Tifft Nature Preserve
51 Reviews
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Trip to Buffalo

While we love Griffis Sculpture park (it's a cool wooded area punctuated with sculpture), chestnut ridge...(basically a busy park with picnic shelters along a wooded area), tift farm (nature preserve, but kind of a pasture), Stelglemeir is basically a town park, however large. They pale in comparison with the much larger and majestic Letchworth. It is a bit of a further drive, however. It's been quite dry in the area, so hiking trails should be very navigable.

Edited: 01 May 2016, 06:44
Mentioned in this post
Griffis Sculpture Park
Griffis Sculpture Park
111 Reviews
East Otto, NY
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Trip to Buffalo

Another option would be Allegany State Park.

I agree that Letchworth is your best choice.

5. Re: Quick Trip to Buffalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2017, 05:16