We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
3 posts
Save Topic
need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

I'm driving up to Newport from NJ with my wife this coming Tuesday 7/10 arriving in Newport before noon if all goes well.

I'm really having a difficult time laying an agenda out. I usually am the type to know what I'm doing every minute of every trip we take.

So I was hoping I can get some help here. I want to make this a really romantic getaway. The kids are with my in-laws so EVERY SECOND COUNTS !!

I want to do at least the following and am open to any suggestions for how to accomplish this all as well as other things I haven't listed:

Harbor cruise (not too long)

Sunset sail (not too long)

Two or three mansions

Cliff walk

Leisurely biking

What would you do and in which order would you do it? We will be there Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night, leaving Friday sometime mid-morning or late-afternoon.

Cranston,RI
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

You will be there during the Newport Music Festival which puts on concerts in the various mansions and on a cruise. There are morning, afternoon, evening, and midnight concerts. Any one could add romance to your getaway

NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

How is the parking situation at the visitors center? We plan on driving there first since we won't be able to check into our hotel until later in the day. Was thinking about parking there and then jumping on the RIPTA trolley or tour trolley. Is this a good idea?

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

For some romance I would definitely drive down Ocean Drive, maybe stop and take a walk. Proceed on to Castle Hill and stop for a drink or lunch. The views are breathtaking and it has a romantic vibe--many affectionately refer to it as a wedding factory. I have never parked at the Visitor Center, but it is a bit of a walk off of Thames, so I would imagine it wouldn't be full--especially midweek. The Cliff Walk shouldn't be missed either (and pop off of it to tour a mansion), the sailing in Newport is wonderful. There is a beautiful spot on a park overlooking the harbor and bridge with a gazebo. I am trying to remember the name of it because it would so romantic to sit there and enjoy wine & cheese!

http://www.castlehillinn.com/

Newport
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

If you haven't left yet..

- Stroll the Cliff Walk

- Castle Hill for at least a cocktail sitting in the adirondack chairs

- eat lunch outside at the Black Pearl or 22 Bowens

- get sandwiches at Sig's Deli and have a picnic and walk on the rocks at Brenton State Park

- have morning coffee and muffins at the end of Bannisters and Bowens Wharf in the coffee shop and sit in the adirondack chairs

- dinner at Bouchards, Prontos, West Deck, Mama Luisa's or the Black Pearl's Commodare room. have the chowder at the B Pearl

- breakfast with the locals, Franklin Spa, Gary's handy lucnh or the Corner Cafe

- stroll all the art galleries and look for a keepsake to bring home to remind you of the trip

- harbor tour

- mansion tours of course, The Breakers and Astors' Beechwood. If you want to do another, The Marble House is great. The Elms has beautiful gardens you can walk through

- There is a tennis tournament at the Tennis Hall of fame. Fun and a historic landmark and nice museum to visit

- see one of the Newport Music Festival concerts, preferrably a 9pm show in the Breakers ballroom

- skydiving or helicopter tours are available!!

- Tuesday evening "Speakeasy" at Astors' Beechwood is great fun

- free Tuesday night concert at First Beach

- Wednesday night baseball game at Cardines Field - some of the best college players in the country and great fun

- comedian Kathy Griffin is performing in town on Thursday

- Murder Mystery at Astors' Beechwood on Thursday

- lots to do....www.GoNewport.com bring a camera

Newport
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

Also Fluke for dinner. On Bannisters Wharf

6. Re: need an itinerary for a romantic getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 08:17