We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chowda

Boston...
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Chowda

Help on Black Pearl. Some of the posts repeatedly recommend the Black Pearl for their chowder, yet a local observer stated it came from a can: quote "She is right about the Black Pearl. Their "famous" chowder is Snow's canned chowder with some butter and dill added. Their lobster roll is nothing special (I've actually found it better in the winter when locals are the majority of customers--guess they can't risk alienating them)" unquote.

Please give us your best choice since my group is a Boston Chowda crowd! Also, can anyone suggest a particular winery? And how is the comedy dinner train? Thanks for your help.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chowda

The Mooring Chowder is good, not sure if the poster KNOWS it's Snow's canned chowder, or if they are just comparing it to Snows. I still think it's good. Also, the Brick Alley has good chowder, and the Mooring has some good chowder as well (Clam as well as Scallop).

Sakonnet Vineyard out in Little Compton is a nice little regional winery with nice scenery.

http://www.sakonnetwine.com

There are also a couple closer to Newport

http://www.newportvineyards.com/

http://www.greenvale.com/

Can't comment on the Comedy Dinner Train....

Check out

www.gonewport.com

for lots of area info.

Greenfield, MA
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chowda

Don't waste your time on the train and the Alantic Beach Club for chowda.

Boston...
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chowda

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious about why not to waste time with the train?

Greenfield, MA
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chowda

I know 6 couples that went on it , at different times, and none of them were impressed with the food or the play.

Boston...
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chowda

Thanks BBR, appreciate the information.

Newport RI
Level Contributor
140 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chowda

Check the dumpster outside the Black Pearl some morning--full of empty #5 cans of Snow's Chowder. This information comes from a former line cook at the Black Pearl.

Scallop Chower at the Mooring is really good, and their clam chowder has been a classic for years. Some of the other restaurants with good chefs also prepare chowder from basic ingrediants, and each has some variation on what they add etc. so its a matter of personal preference.

A personal favorite is the crab and smoked corn chower at The Smokehouse Cafe, which is closed off season, though the Mooring sometimes has it on the menu in the winter..

NH
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chowda

We thought the Black Pearl chowda at the Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival was great - whatever the recipe - it did indeed, have dill in it but lots of clams (along with more than enough potatos too), but the taste was really good!

The best deal of the weekend were the raw oysters! - awesome!

East Providence...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chowda

For really good chowda, try Blount Seafoos soup shop on Water St. in Warren.

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chowda

We lived in Newport in 1995-1996 when my husband attended the Naval War College. I remember the clam chowder at the Newport Marriott being the best I had while there. Does anyone know if it's still good there? Any idea what they put in it? Thanks for your help.

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
262 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chowda

We just went to Newport a few weeks ago and the chowder at The Mooring was excellent!

Get answers to your questions about Newport