We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what else to do in newport?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
what else to do in newport?

we will be staying in Middleton early part of September for 2 nights (sun thru tuesday ) 3 adults with one 3 year old child.. besides the mansions what other attractions could anyone suggest? also restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

thankyou

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what else to do in newport?

Well there's Cliff Walk, cruising down Ocean Drive, hanging out at the wharfs and soaking up the atmosphere, taking one of several boat rides available in the harbor, and The International Tennis Hall of Fame to name a few things.

Restaurant possibilities are many. It depends on what your tastes are, such as casual, or fine dining etc. My personal favorites are Red Parrot, The Mooring, Pier 49, and Fathoms which we like for breakfast.

Check out the reviews here on this site, or check out www.gonewport.com to see what's available. There's quite a variety, and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. Have a great trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what else to do in newport?

I would also suggest you make a short trip to Narragansett. Its a nice beach to Stroll along.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what else to do in newport?

For good seafood...

Flo's Clam Shack right in Middleton

http://flosclamshack.net/

The best fried clams around! Some local favs that they have you won't find too many other places in the country:

Clam Cakes - Like a fritter, not like a crab cake

Stuffed Quahog

Rholde Island Red chowda or clear broth chowda...but they also have the white

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what else to do in newport?

thanks so much for your reply. since we will be traveling with a 3 yr old we will be leaning more towards casual dining.really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what else to do in newport?

1st Beach in Newport has a Carousel. It will at least be open on weekends in September. They also have a playground there.

Casual Restaurants:

Brick Alley, Red Parrot, O'Brien's (the 3 year old can fake "fish" in the fountain)

On Sunday evenings 6:00-8:00ish, there is an Irish Session at the Fastnet Pub on Broadway if you're so inclined. I've seen kids there quite a bit on the side with tables....the crowd at the bar gets hopping, but it's fine for kids for an hour or so...they like the clapping. (Wouldn't choose it for dining though)

Out on the Ocean Drive, there is a lot of kites at Brenton Point...you could pick up a cheap one somewhere (Ace Hardware, Walmart, 5 and Dime etc.) and share the sky with some of the pros out there. (Beautiful views too, you could pack some snacks)

At that time of year, you could pick-your-own Raspberries or Apples (if they're ready) at Sweet Berry Farm

Check out www.gonewport.com for more info.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what else to do in newport?

You may want to do a tour of Fort Adams. It was built in the early 1800's and has a spectacular view of Newport harbor. The tour actually takes you into some of the subterranean tunnels. There are lots of spots to picnic.

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what else to do in newport?

Katrina's Bakery at the beginning of Bellevue is always a must for me.

Follow Bellevue past the mansions to The Inn at Castle Hill. You can even take what you buy from Katrina's, and sit on the lawn and watch the boats go by.

8. Re: what else to do in newport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Newport