We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Mansions

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Mansions

Firstly let me apologize in advance if this question has already been asked on this forum.

1) I will have a day in Newport, and am wondering how many mansions can I enjoy if I have about 5 hours there?

2) Which are your favorite mansions?

I have been to Newport but its been many years.

Thanks so much.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Mansions

Well, you could do several at a quick pace, but IMO I'd pick just one or two, and enjoy other parts of Newport as well. I'd pick the Breakers first, and then The Elms. Depending on what time of year you come, you'll have different choices.

After the mansions, I'd take a walk along the Cliff Walk. Then head down to the harbor area and stroll the shops, restaurants, etc. If you have a car, I'd also do the 10 mile drive.

Some links:

www.newportmansions.org

www.cliffwalk.com

www.oceandrivenewport.com

www.gonewport.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Mansions

I agree with Milemarker. 1 or 2 are enough to see on one day. If you do more than that they start to blur together and you will be bored.

A popular one to visit and the largest is the Breakers. It can be crowded with a line though. So go early in the day if you want to see this one.

Each has their own personalities so you could read up on them and see what strikes your interest. Hunter House is unlike most of the mansions as it was built much earlier than the other ones and is not located in the Bellevue Avenue area but on the harbor. It doesn't have the opulence of the other mansions. So if you want rich interiors - Breakers, Marble House, Elms are ones to visit.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Mansions

I agree with the other two answers. We just returned from Newport and saw two mansions. First we saw the Breakers which was enormous, grand and extremely ornate; quite something to see. We asked around to decide which other mansion we should visit, and based on the locals advice, we went to see the Elms which was a sharp contrast to the Breakers. Both are luxurious and imposing, but the Breakers was decorated beyond any gilded imagination, and the Elms was, IMO, a little more subdued and tasteful. I enjoyed both, thoroughly. The tours were guided by headsets and a recorder which were organized, informative, and lasted about 30-40 minutes each. You are able to listen to the tour at your own pace. You could continue or pause as often as you liked and if you went straight through, the tours generally lasted about a half hour. If you wanted to learn more, you could plug in a # and learn other details on the tour which would extend the time for about another l0 minutes.

The Cliff Walk was a beautiful sight where you literally walk between the mansions and nature's breathtaking vistas of rock formations and crashing waves. The views of the mansions from the back are made possible by this walk, so bring your cameras. If you have time, definitely take a few minutes to do the l0 mile ride. Enjoy! I can't wait to go back!

Level Contributor
377 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Mansions

The Breakers, hands down.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Mansions

An interesting mansion is Rough Point, which was previously owned by Doris Duke. I'm not sure the mansion is any more grand than the others, but you'll hear lots of interesting stories about Duke's years at Rough Point. She was one of Newport's more colorful characters. On the downside, the tour is pricier than the other mansions.

6. Re: Favorite Mansions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 05:16