We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage?

Kansas City
4 posts
Save Topic
Fall foliage?

A friend and I are planning a fall foliage trip this mid-October to one of four areas where we'll be staying at her timeshare. We're trying to decide which area would be best as we have never been east before in the fall.

One area where she has a timeshare is Newport, RI. The other choices are the Poconos in PA, Bentley Brook, MA in the Berkshire Mtns, and Williamsburg, VA.

Any tips on fall foliage viewing in Rhode Island? Or any of the other areas?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall foliage?

RI has some great foliage. There are several great drives nearby. Newport itself is a small city. You will still see lots of flaming trees but you have to leave the city for a classic foliage tour. Close to your arrival projo.com, RI's major daily newspaper, will publish a list of several of the best drives.

Newport is the best choice if you want to have a lot of other things to do. The Berks are very pretty but there are not nearly as many restaurants and other attractions to visit. There will surely be a festival in the city on the weekend you're here, since there is usually one every weekend in October, as well as throughout the state of RI. There are mansions to visit, lots of shops, harbor cruises, ect.

Salem MA
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall foliage?

Check www.yankeefoilage.com the have scenic routes in all New England states and they have foliage ambassadors who report in on what they are seeing in their areas.

Mid Oct could be a little early for southern RI but you can easily drive up into Northern RI if the ocean zone is lacking color. I used to be Yankee's fall foliage guy so I "think" you will have a good visit.

We had a pretty hard winter and a long one so the trees are set for a good spring and summer.

Assuming we don't get a long dry summer or a real long wet summer then we should have a great fall season. visit my fall foliage page on Facebook (Vistaphotography fall foliage to check on what is going on over the summer. I figure about Oct 1st I will have a good idea of what fall is going to do and by Nov 1st, I will know without a doubt! :-)

Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall foliage?

The Berkshires are especially beautiful and would allow you explore nearby Vermont and New Hampshire as well. Lots of nice hiking trails, shops, scenery all over.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall foliage?

If you are only intereseted in fall foilage then the Pocono's and Berkshires would be the best viewing. If you would like to see a beautiful New England Town then newport is great. You can see the Mansions, Cliffwalk, Ocean drive and very nice restaurants and a secnic harbour. Williamsburg also is a beautiful area that is steeped in history with alot to do. Maybe you can split time between CT and Newport because they are sort of close. Good luck

5. Re: Fall foliage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 09:28
Get answers to your questions about Newport
Recent Conversations