We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Tolls

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge Tolls

Can anyone tell me what the tolls are coming into Newport via 138? I believe it was $2.00 a couple of years ago but wondered if it had gone up. Some friends will be visiting Newport in June and I wanted to give them the toll info. Thanks so much. I just found something that said the toll was now $4.00. Correct?

Also I would like to give them directions leaving Newport to Cape Cod for their next destination. Which is the best route to Cape Cod?

Thanks again.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Tolls

Yes, tolls are $4 each way for the bridge, unless they have a local EZ Pass transponder.

Out of Newport there are 2 ways out to Cape Cod. Rt 138 and Rt 114 (East Main Rd. & West Main Rd respectively) take either and join up with Rt 24 North into Mass. And then take I-195 East until it ends at Rt 25. Take Rt 25 to the Cape.

I usually like to go Rt 138 instead of Rt 114. It's mire rural and has some scenic stretches whereas Rt 114 has more commercial traffic and lights.

Once at The Cape, they can take the Bourne or Sagamore Bridge to get over onto The Cape

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Tolls

Thank you milemarker! I have passed the info along to my friend.

All I can say is "wow" $4 to cross that bridge. Our future trips to Newport will not be via Newport bridge.

Thanks again.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Tolls

Yeah it's a bit steep....if you us it enough it drops down to .83 a trip...BUT you have to have a local transponder. THEY (the RI Bridge & Turnpike Authority) say the never raised the rates since 1969 when it opened....I think they are making alot more $$ than they thought because they now are talking about creating 4 high speed lanes with a drive through crossbar so you can go throughat 40 mph...something they said they never could do because it would be too expensive to install the equipment.

If they don't mind a scenic ride, they can come over the Mt Hope bridge from Bristol for free....(for now...)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge Tolls

Thanks for the info milemarker. I guess it would be reasonable w/ the transponder but one or two time uses would negate using getting a transponder. My husband and I live in MA just over the RI border so we do go down to Newport and areas once in a while. I will keep that in mind about going through Bristol. Bristol is lovely. We have also gone via 114 from Rte 6 through Portsmouth and that's not a bad drive either.

Our friends are going to be visiting Newport from out of the country so I wanted to give them the easiest and most direct route, paying $4. won't be that big a deal. They have to pay $5. to go over Tappan Zee as they are driving from NYC area.

5. Re: Bridge Tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Newport