We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer all our posts. We did alot of "research" before our trip & it all paid off. We had a really great week with lots of fun & awesome weather!!

July 2nd - Arrived at Burlingame Campground around 4pm & set up our waterfront site really, really quickly because we wanted to catch Waterfire in Providence. We figured if we were lucky enough to be there during a "fire" we should go see it & we were right!! It was sooo beautiful & is definitely a "must-do" when in RI. We ate at Luxe Burger Bar which we loved. It had outdoor seating, fair prices, good food & was literally 100 ft from the beginning of Waterfire. It was a perfect first night :)

July 3rd - Slept in a bit, finished setting up camp, then headed to mass at Immaculate Conception in Westerly. We assumed there'd be a 12pm service since all the churches in Long Island have them but we were wrong. Mass is at 11am - hopefully we still get points for trying ;)

Did some food shopping - then sat by the swimming pond all day long!! Ended the day with a campfire & toasted marshmallows. Nothing better!!

July 4th - Spent the morning swimming in the pond. The kids loved that you could walk 200 feet and still touch. We headed over to Watch Hill in the afternoon & bought heros to take to Misquamicut Beach (the free section). The surf wasn't rough at all & the kids stayed in for 2 hours! We missed Napatree Point so that's on our "to do" list for next time. After some ice cream at St Clairs Annex - we headed over to Wuskenau Town Beach where they were having fireworks later in the night. We spent a couple hours sitting on the Adirondack chairs at Windjammer overlooking the beach. This place is not fancy by any means, but the burgers, fries & beers were good & the view was amazing! The fireworks was short & sweet - I guess we're used to much bigger displays here in New York. It took us an hour to get home but it was worth it for the day we had.

Will post some more tomorrow...............

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Sounds great! Do finish posting... I am sure it will be a help to another traveler and I am enjoying seeing RI through a visitor's eyes.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Yes I was looking forward to Part 2 myself.

New York
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Okay, here goes................

July 5th - Slept in late & spent the day at the swimming pond again. Reading books, playing cards, catching fish, etc. We headed to Cap'n Jack's in Wakefield for dinner (it was just okay) then drove around awhile checking out Jerusalem, Pt Judith, Galillee & Naragansett. Had some ice cream & called it a night.

July 6th - This was a really full day. Woke at 7:30 and packed a bag, stove and cooler & headed to East Beach (free parking before 9am). We wanted to check out Ninigret Pond. We were told it was a salt water kettle pond that people go clamming in and that there'd be lots of critters for the kids to find. It was alot of fun for all of us and we ended up finding lots of fish, HUGE red jellies, muscles and a horseshoe crab (my favorite!!). Then we walked over to East Beach & rode the waves for awhile. Soft serve ice cream and back to the campsite. We chilled there for a bit before heading to Galillee again. We walked around for awhile, then watched the boats come in and the fishermen on the rocks. It's such a picturesque New England town. We decided on Nachos & Margaritas for dinner. Delicious!!

July 7th - Another busy day......we left in the morning to explore Jamestown which we really loved! Took a long drive around, checked out a campground & headed to Beavertail State Park. The hubby and I couldv'e spent the whole day there - but the kids had there fill after an hour or so. Hit Mackerel Cove Beach at 3pm (right when they stop taking parking fees.....see a pattern here??) and literally stayed for 4 hours! The kids loved this beach, it was low tide and had a gentle surf & warm water. We also tried Dell's for the first time, but sorry to say we weren't fans. Dinner was not so great either. Someone reccomended Arturo Joe's in Narragansett for "great Italian". As Italians from NY - we should've known better. Tasteless, overpriced food :(

New York
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Will post the final days including Newport tomorrow.......

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

I can't believe that you didnt' like Del's! Just kidding, to each their own. Not surprised about Arturo Joe's, though. I have never been a fan of their food and don't really know too many who are. It's super greasy, too. There are several good Italian places down in S. County if you do ever come back (Italian Village in Wakefield is good, and there are several good places in Westerly, which is a very Italian town). In my opinion though much of the best Italian food in the state can be found in Providence. A lot of good places on Federal Hill.

Enjoying your trip report, looking forward to the next installment.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Next time you're in the area and looking for Italian food, I absolutely recommend Casa Della Luce in Westerly. The pasta's made from scratch, and I think they have the best pizza in town. For seafood -- try the Matunuck Oyster Bar restaurant. And also in Westerly, for that hot lobster roll -- Two Little Fish (but not for the ambiance).

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

Do not feel bad!! I was born in RI and I do not care for Del's. In fact I do not drink it, ever. Make me heretic in my own family, but oh well! I do try to ship it to my nephews serving overseas, but it's a bow to their tastes, not mine.

As others have pointed out, RI has quite a few great Italian eateries, but unfortunately Arturo Joe's is not one of them! So sorry about that! I also agree that there are many adult-oriented destinations in RI... sorry, kids!

I am looking forward to the conclusion.

8. Re: Trip Report............a week exploring Rhode Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 18:17