We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose Island Lighthouse

Providence, Rhode...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rose Island Lighthouse

We are thinking of booking an overnight stay at Rose Island Light, but are told that cruise ships now bring groups there while overnight guests are on the Island. Apparently overnighters have to stash away their belongings so the cruise ship folks see the place as a museum.

The way the arrival and departure times are organized for overnight guests, it seems impossible not to have to deal with tons of cruise ship people touring this small island when the point of booking a pricey overnight is to get away from it all for a short period.

Any advice?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rose Island Lighthouse

I think you should call them directly to get more details. I would be surprised if it is as you imagine. From what I recall, the guest area is seperate from the downstairs museum. There have always been tours on the island. Compared to the other sights Rose Isl, never seemed swarmed with tourists especially in the shoulder seasons, although if they are offloading tons from the cruise ships now, that might be another story. You would have the island largly to yourself in the am and at night; I heard it was a great time.

Edited: 11 August 2011, 14:12
Newport, Rhode...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Rose Island Lighthouse

It is true the lighthouse is open as a museum from 10AM to 4PM and we offer tours in the fall season to cruise ships during those hours. All but two of our cruise ship tours scheduled for 2011 will be done with their tours by 1:30 PM.

Guests are asked to keep their belongings stowed until check in time at 4pm. This is the normal year round operating procedure for the lighthouse. The island is 18 acres in size and many guests head off to explore the island while the lighthouse is open to tours.

i hope you will come and visit the lighthouse.

Sincerely

David McCurdy

Executive Director

Rose Island Lighthouse

Edited: 12 August 2011, 16:06
Mentioned in this post
Rose Island Lighthouse
Rose Island Lighthouse
73 Reviews
Newport, RI
3. Re: Rose Island Lighthouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 20:16