We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
224 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

We'll be traveling from PA to Maine in early August for a week and have decided to leave a bit early and spend a night in both Newport and Boston.

My children are 7 and 11 and I'm looking for suggestions on things to do in Newport. We'll have an afternoon/evening our first day and the morning of the second day. I'm considering the following:

- Cliffwalk - though I've read this may be difficult for children. Thoughts?

- Norman Bird Sanctuary - ideas on how much time we'd need here?

- The Breakers Mansion - would this be interesting for kids?

Any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

The Cliffwalk should be fine, as long as the 7yo minds you.

The Breakers will interest the 11yo, the 7, who knows?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

I would suggest you get out on the water. It could range from a cruise on an historic yatch (the Madeline or the Adirondack II for example) to a short trip on a water taxi. I think for your age ranges the Jamestown-Newport Ferry would work

http://www.jamestownnewportferry.com/

It will take you to Rose Island Lighthouse, which you can tour. Also on this tiny island are the ruins of a WWII torpedo storage facility. The ferry also travels to Ft Adams, which has a hard hat/flashlight tour that is popular with children.

The beach is always a huge hit with kids. For Newport that would be Easton's Beach. Bear in mind the beaches here in RI have water temps at least 15 degrees warmer than in Maine. Here you can swim, body surf, etc. In Maine you dunk and run out (usually screaming).

Check http://www.gonewport.com/events-calendar

to see what live entertainment ect might be offered during your visit.

I think the mansions are kind of boring for kids, except that The Breakers has a play house that the Vanderbilt kids used to play in. I remember it from when I was a child and loved it. The rest, not so much.

Consider staying a bit longer. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
15 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

The Cliff Walk is absolutely beautiful and you should have no trouble with the kids. It is a couple miles long, but you can get on and off at differetn points, so you don't have to walk the whole length if you don't want to.

I agree that the beaches are a good idea. Keep in mind that many beaches in RI require either and entrance fee, parking fee, or both.

A boat tour of the Harbor in Newport is a great idea, or you could do a lighthouse tour which will take you from Newport further north. Boats leave from Newport, Narragansett and North Kingstown. I think the kids would be excited being out on a boat, and the views are gorgeous. Sunset cruises are especially beautiful and romantic.

Walking around downtown Newport is great for shopping, snacking and browsing. You can walk along the wharf and see lots of boats, too. Keep in mind that Newport is jam-packed in the summer and parking is very hard to find for free. If you hotel offers parking, you are best to keep your car there and walk down to the main shopping area. Parking for the mansions isn't bad since they are away from downtown and they have ample parking lots.

A scenic drive on Ocean Drive is recommended. It doesn't take very long and it offers some really beautiful views of the water and the magnificent homes that dot the shore. Also, a quick trip over to Jamestown (just over the Newport Bridge) is a nice idea. Beavertail Park is lovely and has a nice lighthouse you can visit. The park is free to enter.

Be sure to have an EZ Pass with you.... the Newport Bridge is expensive to drive over. With an EZPass, it only costs about 85 cents to cross.

As for the bird sanctuary, I have never visited it so I can't comment on it. But I am glad you mentioned it because I really should go!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
832 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

I ditto the beach. Never met a kid that didn't love second beach on a hot August day

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

Just a word about EZ Pass... the Newport Bridge is only 85 cents IF you are a RI resident. Everyone else pays $4, EZ Pass or not.

6. Re: 1 night in August with children . . . suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:42
Get answers to your questions about Newport