We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from different sites

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
keyser
1 post
Save Topic
traveling from different sites

We are using the trolley from our cruise ship to the different mansions. Does the trolley continuously pick up people and take them to the different mansions, or do we walk? Thank you

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from different sites

If you mean that you are signing up for an excursion, then I'm sure they take you from mansion to mansion. But if you're using the RIPTA trolley, there will be a schedule. Unfortunately this summer's schedule is not yet posted.

gonewport.com/transportation-information/pub…

I believe it stops at 3 mansions. But please consider doing something beside touring multiple mansions. I'm a seen one, seen them all type of person. The best is the Breaker's. Check out Cliff Walk, the harbor and it's charming wharves (Bowen's and Bannister's), and take a ride on Ocean Drive. Breathtaking!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from different sites

I will be there for a few hours on a port stop with my cruise... really looking forward as the scenery looks breath taking. I'm from the South so have seen multiple mansions -- I can relate to your comment. :) I definitely want to walk part of the Cliff Walk - that is my #1 priority.

I've had a hard time with Google searching finding exactly where we tender to and what public transportation is available - the site seems to be down.

Is there a 'hop on and off' type trolley available here for touring?

Thank you for all your help and advice.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from different sites

You tender at Perotti Park on America's Cup Blvd. It's a short 1 block walk to the Visitor's Center where you can buy a trolley pass for $6 that allows you ride all day. The trolley runs every 20-30 minutes depending on which day of the week it is. On the ripta website it's the #67 bus. To get to Cliff Walk you should get off at Salve Regina. I'm sure the trolley driver gives our visitors advice on where to get off to see the sights. At least I certainly hope so!

I don't know whether the trolley travels Ocean Drive. If not, consider a cab ride or excursion that will take you there. It IS breathtaking! For lunch, eat just about anywhere except the Barking Crab. If you're on Thames St (the main tourist thoroughfare) try Scales and Shells for seafood. Italian food is also very good in RI. Nikolas Pizza on Memorial Blvd is very good and has more than just pizza and is budget-friendly.

Newport is also a very well-preserved Colonial town. Just walking the Thames St area can be fun if you're a history buff.

If you want to see Newport from the water (up close, that is) take the Jamestown/Newport Ferry It takes you across the bay, first stopping at Rose Island Light (you can get off and tour the lighthouse, and the island is also home to WWI and WWII munitions storage and other military uses), across the bay to Jamestown, a very charming small town, although limited places you can walk to, and then back across the bay to Ft Adams, then to the wharves and back to Perotti Park. The crew is very knowledgeable about the mega-yatchs in port and love to dish. All that for under $20.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from different sites

WONDERFUL information - thank you so very much!! I plan to print this and take with me. I am really looking forward to my first visit to RI and taking plenty of beautiful photos. :)

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from different sites

I'm happy to help! Have a great visit and let us know how you made out. Trip Advisor has helped me have some really great vacations!

6. Re: traveling from different sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:40