We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

I will be a guest at a conference my husband is attending the end of July. The conference is in Providence, but one of the days the guest excursion offers me two Newport choices. The first choice is Newport Vineyard and downtown Newport. The second choice is Easton's Beach and downtown Newport. Both excursions leave Providence at 9:00 and return at 4:30.

I'm not really interested in the winery - I live in wine country - unless there's a compelling reason to go that I'm not aware of.

And I'm not really interested in 3 hours at Easton's Beach, which is the length of time designated.

What I'm really interested in is the Cliff Walk. Could I get from Easton's Beach to the Cliff Walk and back in 3 hours? And how would I best do that?

We'll be touring the Mansions and taking a Harbor tour on another day.

Or maybe there are other suggestions for that 3 hour window of time when I won't be sitting on the beach?

Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Easton's Beach
Easton's Beach
266 Reviews
Newport, RI
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,240 Reviews
Newport, RI
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

Hi! The cliff walk is great, it's about 7 miles (3.5 miles out, 3.5 miles back) it takes me about 2 hours to walk it), very, very pretty. It goes along the back of some of the mansions and is along side the ocean. Wear good walking shoes! I'm assuming you are taking a bus and it would drop you off at main parking lot at Easton's beach. The entrance to the cliff walk is at the end of Easton's Beach, it's a little bit of a walk-up hill from the main parking lot (5-10 minutes tops). When you get off the bus, follow the stonewall up the hill. It runs alongside a sidewalk between the beach and the road.

It can all be acheived in 3 hours, but do keep a an eye on the time, you may find yourself slowing down on the cliffwalk to take in the views!

In my opinion, the Vineyard is a waste of time.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Easton's Beach
Easton's Beach
266 Reviews
Newport, RI
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

Oh, I'm so glad to hear it! I was hoping it would be doable. I would assume that yes, the bus will drop us at the main parking lot. I'll choose Easton's Beach, then, and plan to do the Cliff Walk. Good shoes and a watch - check!

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Easton's Beach
Easton's Beach
266 Reviews
Newport, RI
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,240 Reviews
Newport, RI
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

I agree Cliff Walk is a good alternative. July is usually pretty hot here so I also suggest you bring water and sunblock. You can buy water at the beach but there is nowhere along Cliff Walk to stop and pick things up. Also no restrooms! Most people just walk part of it. Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,240 Reviews
Newport, RI
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

Thank you for the advice - that's very good to know!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

Here's a link to the cliff walk website that has great shots..you can see how close they are to the beach.

<http://www.cliffwalk.com/>

You could plan to budget in some time at the end for a cool drink /lunch at the Chandler on Cliff Walk which you will walk right by!!

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,240 Reviews
Newport, RI
6. Re: Conference excursion choices and crafting my own day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:42